MEDx is pleased to announce a call for proposals for the Kaganov Research Initiative in Pulmonary Medicine and Engineering. The intent of this Initiative, supported by a generous gift from Dr. Alan and Mrs. Carol Kaganov, is to build robust collaborations between engineers and physicians to conduct research that focuses directly on or has relevance to lung function and diseases, especially pulmonary fibrosis.
The Kaganov Research Initiative has the following goals:
- To improve our understanding of disease mechanisms,
- enhance diagnosis,
- create more effective treatments, and
- ultimately find pathways to cure idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and other lung diseases.
MEDx anticipates awarding multiple grants of up to $150,000 in direct costs (no indirect costs are allowed). The term of the award is 1 year. While the intent of these grants is to position investigators to be successful in attaining external support, extremely promising work may be invited to request a second round of funding for additional research.
Proposals should describe cross-disciplinary scientific research on lung diseases or lung function, and particularly idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). Research on relevant basic biomedical questions, development of enhanced understanding of disease mechanism, the development of therapies, diagnostics or devices, clinical research/trials (excluding Phase 2 or beyond), epidemiological, and/or community-based studies is within scope. Population health improvement projects should demonstrate significant stakeholder involvement to advance applicability of the results to broader practice patterns, clinical guidelines, and other applications.
Application submission deadline: October 17, 2018
- Proposals must be submitted by Duke regular rank faculty and comply with the Duke University Policy on PI Status in the Duke Faculty Handbook.
- Proposals must represent a collaboration between a faculty member with an appointment in the Pratt School of Engineering and a faculty member with an appointment in the School of Medicine.
- The co-PIs cannot have primary appointments in the same School and priority will be given to applications that include one or both PIs with a primary appointment in Medicine or Pratt.
- Because of the focus of this funding opportunity, the applicants are encouraged to have physicians or scientists with lung disease expertise as part of the collaborative team.
- More than one proposal may be submitted per faculty member acting as PI, but the faculty member is only eligible to receive one award as PI during a given funding cycle.
- Final Selection: November 5, 2018
- View the RFA for proposal instructions
Duke MEDx uses the MyResearchProposal online application software to submit applications.
- To apply visit http://bit.ly/myresearchproposal, click on “Create New User” (or log in if you already have an account). Proposals must be submitted under the Principal Investigator's name.
- A step-by-step user’s guide for applying via the MyResearchProposal software is available - Please review the guide here.
- Enter Access Code ‘MEDX’ then select the “Kaganov Initiative 2018-2019” funding opportunity and follow the instructions.
- For questions concerning MyResearchProposal passwords or system issues, please contact email@example.com.