Hawkins Family Associate ProfessorDr. Shen’s research interests lie at precision medicine and systems biology. His lab integrates engineering, computational and biological techniques to study cancer, stem cells, microbiota and the nervous system in the gut. This multidisciplinary work has been instrumental in initiating several translational clinical trials in precision therapy. He is the director of the Woo Center for Big Data and Precision Health (DAP) and a core member of the Center for Genomics and Computational Biology (GCB).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Office Location: 2167 Ciemas, 101 Science Drive, Box 3382, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9184
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2008
- M.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
- B.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
Research InterestsPrecision medicine for cancer, regeneration, microbiome, and gut-brain axis. Multi-omics approaches including organoid, epigenetics, CRISPR, single-cell, metabolomics, machine learning, droplet microfluidics, humanized immune model and intravital imaging.
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
In the News
- The Cancer Microbiome Reveals Which Bacteria Live in Tumors (Jan 13, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- A Rare Window Into the Workings of the Colon in a Live Animal (Dec 11, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Cancer Cells Adapt to Gorge on Sugar in the Liver (Apr 27, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Cancer Drug Helps Treat Tuberculosis (Apr 27, 2018)
- A literal window into the second brain in our stomachs (Jun 23, 2016 | Newsweek)
- A literal window into the second brain in our stomachs (Jun 13, 2016 | Newsweek)
- Window in mouse shows its ‘gut feelings’ (Jun 8, 2016 | Gizmag)
- Real-time View of Enteric Nervous System Provides a Window to the Gut's Brain (Jun 7, 2016)
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer (Feb 4, 2016)
- Xiling Shen: An Engineering Approach to Biomedical Challenges (Feb 24, 2015 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Huang, Q; Cohen, MA; Alsina, FC; Devlin, G; Garrett, A; McKey, J; Havlik, P; Rakhilin, N; Wang, E; Xiang, K; Mathews, P; Wang, L; Bock, C; Ruthig, V; Wang, Y; Negrete, M; Wong, CW; Murthy, PKL; Zhang, S; Daniel, AR; Kirsch, DG; Kang, Y; Capel, B; Asokan, A; Silver, DL; Jaenisch, R; Shen, X, Intravital imaging of mouse embryos., Science, vol 368 no. 6487 (2020), pp. 181-186 [10.1126/science.aba0210] [abs].
- Kaelberer, MM; Buchanan, KL; Klein, ME; Barth, BB; Montoya, MM; Shen, X; Bohórquez, DV, A gut-brain neural circuit for nutrient sensory transduction., Science, vol 361 no. 6408 (2018) [10.1126/science.aat5236] [abs].
- Bu, P; Chen, K-Y; Xiang, K; Johnson, C; Crown, SB; Rakhilin, N; Ai, Y; Wang, L; Xi, R; Astapova, I; Han, Y; Li, J; Barth, BB; Lu, M; Gao, Z; Mines, R; Zhang, L; Herman, M; Hsu, D; Zhang, G-F; Shen, X, Aldolase B-Mediated Fructose Metabolism Drives Metabolic Reprogramming of Colon Cancer Liver Metastasis., Cell Metab, vol 27 no. 6 (2018), pp. 1249-1262.e4 [10.1016/j.cmet.2018.04.003] [abs].
- Bu, P; Wang, L; Chen, K-Y; Srinivasan, T; Murthy, PKL; Tung, K-L; Varanko, AK; Chen, HJ; Ai, Y; King, S; Lipkin, SM; Shen, X, A miR-34a-Numb Feedforward Loop Triggered by Inflammation Regulates Asymmetric Stem Cell Division in Intestine and Colon Cancer., Cell Stem Cell, vol 18 no. 2 (2016), pp. 189-202 [10.1016/j.stem.2016.01.006] [abs].
- Bu, P; Chen, K-Y; Chen, JH; Wang, L; Walters, J; Shin, YJ; Goerger, JP; Sun, J; Witherspoon, M; Rakhilin, N; Li, J; Yang, H; Milsom, J; Lee, S; Zipfel, W; Jin, MM; Gümüş, ZH; Lipkin, SM; Shen, X, A microRNA miR-34a-regulated bimodal switch targets Notch in colon cancer stem cells., Cell Stem Cell, vol 12 no. 5 (2013), pp. 602-615 [10.1016/j.stem.2013.03.002] [abs].