Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Nandan Lad is a neurosurgeon, scientist, and entrepreneur and an Associate Professor at Duke University Medical Center with a focus in Neuromodulation and Neurorestoration. He is Director of the Duke NeuroInnovations Program, a systematic approach to medical device innovation to large unmet clinical needs.
He completed his MD and PhD in Biochemistry at Chicago Medical School and his neurosurgical residency training at Stanford with fellowships in Surgical Innovation and Functional Neurosurgery.
Neuromodulation; Neurorestoration; Bioengineering; Medical Device Design; Clinical Trials; Data Science; Health Outcomes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Core Faculty Member, Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Blue Zone, Su, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1973
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Stanford University, 2009
- Stanford University, 2008
- Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford University, 2005
- Ph.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- M.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- NEUROSCI 391: Neuroscience Independent Scholarship 1: Advanced Topics
In the News
- A Challenging Diagnosis in a Patient With Metastatic Lung Cancer (Sep 13, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Chronic Foot, Ankle Pain After Lumbar Decompression Surgery (Aug 16, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Trying a New Pulse for Pain Relief (Nov 1, 2015)
- MRI Technology Reveals Deep Brain Pathways in Unprecedented Detail (Jun 4, 2015)
- Surgical Complications of DBS No Higher Risk for Older Parkinson’s Patients (Aug 27, 2014)
- Spinal Fusion Material, BMP, Increases Risk of Benign Tumors, Not Cancer (Sep 5, 2013)
- Williamson, TL; Adil, SM; Shalita, C; Charalambous, LT; Mitchell, T; Yang, Z; Parente, BA; Lee, H-J; Ubel, PA; Lemmon, ME; Galanos, AN; Lad, SP; Komisarow, JM, Palliative Care Consultations in Patients with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: Who Receives Palliative Care Consultations and What Does that Mean for Utilization?, Neurocritical Care (2022) [10.1007/s12028-021-01366-2] [abs].
- Gilligan, C; Volschenk, W; Russo, M; Green, M; Gilmore, C; Mehta, V; Deckers, K; De Smedt, K; Latif, U; Georgius, P; Gentile, J; Mitchell, B; Langhorst, M; Huygen, F; Baranidharan, G; Patel, V; Mironer, E; Ross, E; Carayannopoulos, A; Hayek, S; Gulve, A; Van Buyten, J-P; Tohmeh, A; Fischgrund, J; Lad, S; Ahadian, F; Deer, T; Klemme, W; Rauck, R; Rathmell, J; Levy, R; Heemels, JP; Eldabe, S; ReActiv8-B investigators,, An implantable restorative-neurostimulator for refractory mechanical chronic low back pain: a randomized sham-controlled clinical trial., Pain, vol 162 no. 10 (2021), pp. 2486-2498 [10.1097/j.pain.0000000000002258] [abs].
- Ponder, M; Venkatraman, V; Charalambous, L; Ansah-Yeboah, AA; Adil, SM; Antezana, LA; Dharmapurikar, R; Gellad, ZF; Lad, SP; Hwang, ES; Plichta, JK, Mobile Health Application for Patients Undergoing Breast Cancer Surgery: Feasibility Study., Jco Oncol Pract, vol 17 no. 9 (2021), pp. e1344-e1353 [10.1200/OP.20.01026] [abs].
- Adil, SM; Calabrese, E; Charalambous, LT; Cook, JJ; Rahimpour, S; Atik, AF; Cofer, GP; Parente, BA; Johnson, GA; Lad, SP; White, LE, A high-resolution interactive atlas of the human brainstem using magnetic resonance imaging., Neuroimage, vol 237 (2021) [10.1016/j.neuroimage.2021.118135] [abs].
- Chiang, C-H; Wang, C; Barth, K; Rahimpour, S; Trumpis, M; Duraivel, S; Rachinskiy, I; Dubey, A; Wingel, KE; Wong, M; Witham, NS; Odell, T; Woods, V; Bent, B; Doyle, W; Friedman, D; Bihler, E; Reiche, CF; Southwell, DG; Haglund, MM; Friedman, AH; Lad, SP; Devore, S; Devinsky, O; Solzbacher, F; Pesaran, B; Cogan, G; Viventi, J, Flexible, high-resolution thin-film electrodes for human and animal neural research., J Neural Eng, vol 18 no. 4 (2021) [10.1088/1741-2552/ac02dc] [abs].