Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Nandan Lad is a neurosurgeon, scientist, and entrepreneur and an Associate Professor at Duke University Medical Center with a focus in Neuromodulation and Neurorestoration. He is Director of the Duke NeuroInnovations Program, a systematic approach to medical device innovation to large unmet clinical needs.
He completed his MD and PhD in Biochemistry at Chicago Medical School and his neurosurgical residency training at Stanford with fellowships in Surgical Innovation and Functional Neurosurgery.
Neuromodulation; Neurorestoration; Bioengineering; Medical Device Design; Clinical Trials; Data Science; Health Outcomes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Core Faculty Member, Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Blue Zone, Su, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1973
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stanford University, 2009
- Stanford University, 2008
- Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford University, 2005
- Ph.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- M.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- NEUROSCI 391: Neuroscience Independent Scholarship 1: Advanced Topics
In the News
- A Challenging Diagnosis in a Patient With Metastatic Lung Cancer (Sep 13, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Chronic Foot, Ankle Pain After Lumbar Decompression Surgery (Aug 16, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Trying a New Pulse for Pain Relief (Nov 1, 2015)
- MRI Technology Reveals Deep Brain Pathways in Unprecedented Detail (Jun 4, 2015)
- Surgical Complications of DBS No Higher Risk for Older Parkinson’s Patients (Aug 27, 2014)
- Spinal Fusion Material, BMP, Increases Risk of Benign Tumors, Not Cancer (Sep 5, 2013)
- Petersen, EA; Stauss, TG; Scowcroft, JA; Brooks, ES; White, JL; Sills, SM; Amirdelfan, K; Guirguis, MN; Xu, J; Yu, C; Nairizi, A; Patterson, DG; Tsoulfas, KC; Creamer, MJ; Galan, V; Bundschu, RH; Paul, CA; Mehta, ND; Choi, H; Sayed, D; Lad, SP; DiBenedetto, DJ; Sethi, KA; Goree, JH; Bennett, MT; Harrison, NJ; Israel, AF; Chang, P; Wu, PW; Gekht, G; Argoff, CE; Nasr, CE; Taylor, RS; Subbaroyan, J; Gliner, BE; Caraway, DL; Mekhail, NA, Effect of High-frequency (10-kHz) Spinal Cord Stimulation in Patients With Painful Diabetic Neuropathy: A Randomized Clinical Trial., Jama Neurol (2021) [10.1001/jamaneurol.2021.0538] [abs].
- Haglund, MM; Cutler, AB; Suarez, A; Dharmapurikar, R; Lad, SP; McDaniel, KE, The Surgical Autonomy Program: A Pilot Study of Social Learning Theory Applied to Competency-Based Neurosurgical Education., Neurosurgery, vol 88 no. 4 (2021), pp. E345-E350 [10.1093/neuros/nyaa556] [abs].
- Patel, N; Calodney, A; Kapural, L; Province-Azalde, R; Lad, SP; Pilitsis, J; Wu, C; Cherry, T; Subbaroyan, J; Gliner, B; Caraway, D, High-Frequency Spinal Cord Stimulation at 10 kHz for the Treatment of Nonsurgical Refractory Back Pain: Design of a Pragmatic, Multicenter, Randomized Controlled Trial., Pain Pract, vol 21 no. 2 (2021), pp. 171-183 [10.1111/papr.12945] [abs].
- Adil, SM; Hodges, SE; Charalambous, LT; Kiyani, M; Liu, B; Lee, H-J; Parente, BA; Perfect, JR; Lad, SP, Paediatric bacterial meningitis in the USA: outcomes and healthcare resource utilization of nosocomial versus community-acquired infection., J Med Microbiol, vol 70 no. 1 (2021) [10.1099/jmm.0.001276] [abs].
- Adil, SM; Charalambous, LT; Spears, CA; Kiyani, M; Hodges, SE; Yang, Z; Lee, H-J; Rahimpour, S; Parente, B; Greene, KA; McClellan, M; Lad, SP, Impact of Spinal Cord Stimulation on Opioid Dose Reduction: A Nationwide Analysis., Neurosurgery, vol 88 no. 1 (2020), pp. 193-201 [10.1093/neuros/nyaa353] [abs].