Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Nandan Lad is a neurosurgeon, scientist, and entrepreneur and Professor and Vice Chair of Innovation for Duke Neurosurgery. He is Director of the Functional & Restorative Neuromodulation Program and the Duke NeuroInnovations Program, a systematic approach to innovation to large unmet clinical needs.
He completed his MD and PhD in Biochemistry at Chicago Medical School and his neurosurgical residency training at Stanford with fellowships in both Surgical Innovation and Functional Neurosurgery.
Neuromodulation; Neurorestoration; Bioengineering; Medical Device Design; Clinical Trials; Data Science; Health Outcomes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Core Faculty Member, Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Blue Zone, Su, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1973
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Stanford University, 2009
- Stanford University, 2008
- Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford University, 2005
- Ph.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- M.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- NEUROSCI 391: Neuroscience Independent Scholarship 1: Advanced Topics
In the News
- When Diabetic Neuropathy Made Him Miserable, A Spinal Cord Stimulator Got Him Back on His Feet (Jul 27, 2022)
- A Challenging Diagnosis in a Patient With Metastatic Lung Cancer (Sep 13, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Chronic Foot, Ankle Pain After Lumbar Decompression Surgery (Aug 16, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Trying a New Pulse for Pain Relief (Nov 1, 2015)
- MRI Technology Reveals Deep Brain Pathways in Unprecedented Detail (Jun 4, 2015)
- Surgical Complications of DBS No Higher Risk for Older Parkinson’s Patients (Aug 27, 2014)
- Spinal Fusion Material, BMP, Increases Risk of Benign Tumors, Not Cancer (Sep 5, 2013)
- Charalambous, LT; Rajkumar, S; Liu, B; Adil, SM; Wong, M; Hodges, S; Amrhein, TJ; Leithe, LG; Parente, B; Lee, H-J; Lad, SP, Treatment Patterns and Health Care Resource Utilization of Iatrogenic Spinal Cerebrospinal Fluid Leaks in the United States., Clin Spine Surg, vol 35 no. 9 (2022), pp. E725-E730 [10.1097/BSD.0000000000001363] [abs].
- Venkatraman, V; Kirsch, EP; Luo, E; Kunte, S; Ponder, M; Gellad, ZF; Liu, B; Lee, H-J; Jung, S-H; Haglund, MM; Lad, SP, Outcomes With a Mobile Digital Health Platform for Patients Undergoing Spine Surgery: Retrospective Analysis., Jmir Perioper Med, vol 5 no. 1 (2022) [10.2196/38690] [abs].
- Neal, CJ; Durning, SJ; Dharmapurikar, R; McDaniel, KE; Lad, SP; Haglund, MM, From Their Eyes: What Constitutes Quality Formative Written Feedback for Neurosurgery Residents., J Surg Educ (2022) [10.1016/j.jsurg.2022.10.003] [abs].
- Rajkumar, S; Venkatraman, V; Zidanyue Yang, L; Parente, B; Lee, H-J; Lad, SP, Health Care Economics of High-Frequency Spinal Cord Stimulation for Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy., Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology (2022) [10.1177/19322968221128321] [abs].
- Gilligan, C; Volschenk, W; Russo, M; Green, M; Gilmore, C; Mehta, V; Deckers, K; De Smedt, K; Latif, U; Sayed, D; Georgius, P; Gentile, J; Mitchell, B; Langhorst, M; Huygen, F; Baranidharan, G; Patel, V; Mironer, E; Ross, E; Carayannopoulos, A; Hayek, S; Gulve, A; Van Buyten, J-P; Tohmeh, A; Fischgrund, J; Lad, S; Ahadian, F; Deer, T; Klemme, W; Rauck, R; Rathmell, J; Schwab, F; Maislin, G; Heemels, JP; Eldabe, S, Three-Year Durability of Restorative Neurostimulation Effectiveness in Patients With Chronic Low Back Pain and Multifidus Muscle Dysfunction., Neuromodulation (2022) [10.1016/j.neurom.2022.08.457] [abs].