Piers Christopher Andrew Barker
Professor of PediatricsImproving parent/infant bonding in prenatally diagnosed congenital heart disease
Analysis of advanced cardiac mechanics (strain, strain rate, torsion) in congenital and acquired heart disease by echo and cardiac MRI
Development of novel uses of 3D/4D echo for fetal and congenital heart disease
Sub-maximal exercise testing in congenital and maternal heart disease
Cardiac Mechanics during exercise in pediatrics
Outcome improvement in patients with Functional Single Ventricle and fetal cardiac disease
Application of novel imaging technologies (ultrasound, cardiac MRI, cardiac CT) in fetal, congenital and acquired heart disease
Characterization of rheumatic heart disease and HIV-related cardiomyopathy in developing countries
Cost Effectivess of screening for immune-mediated fetal heart block
Dyssynchrony analysis in pediatric patients
3D printing and computational fluid dynamics in congenital heart disease
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Office Location: 7605-A Hosp North, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-3574
- Email Address: email@example.com
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2001
- Johns Hopkins University, 1998
- Johns Hopkins University, 1996
- M.D. Cornell University, 1995
In the News
- A Heart You Can Hold In Your Hands (Apr 7, 2021 | Duke Stories)
- How 3-D Printing is Changing Surgical Care at Duke (Dec 21, 2017)
- 3D models enhance surgical strategies (Sep 14, 2015 | WRAL)
- Local family shares story during Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week (Feb 11, 2015 | WTVD)
- Sturgeon, GM; Andersen, ND; Campbell, MJ; Barker, PCA, Three-dimensional modeling of the mitral valve for surgical planning in a pediatric patient: A case-based discussion of the technical challenges of segmentation and printing from 3D transthoracic echocardiographic datasets., Echocardiography (Mount Kisco, N.Y.), vol 38 no. 11 (2021), pp. 1978-1983 [10.1111/echo.15239] [abs].
- Barker, P, Council on Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease (PCHD) Year-In-Review., J Am Soc Echocardiogr, vol 34 no. 9 (2021), pp. A13-A14 [10.1016/j.echo.2021.07.003] [abs].
- Andersen, ND; Sturgeon, GM; Barker, PCA; Turek, JW, Commentary: Inspection of 3-dimensional rendered hearts will become the standard of care before complex congenital heart surgery., Jtcvs Tech, vol 7 (2021), pp. 204-205 [10.1016/j.xjtc.2021.02.037] [abs].
- Altman, CA; Donofrio, MT; Arya, B; Wasserman, M; Ensing, GJ; Cohen, MS; Lewin, MB; Swaminathan, M; Barker, PCA, ASE Statement on Adapting Pediatric, Fetal, and Congenital Heart Disease Echocardiographic Services to the Evolving COVID-19 Pandemic., J Am Soc Echocardiogr, vol 34 no. 5 (2021), pp. 553-561 [10.1016/j.echo.2021.01.012] [abs].
- McNamara, PJ; Barker, P; Jain, A; Lai, WW, Towards use of POCUS to evaluate hemodynamics in critically ill neonates: caution before adoption in this population., Crit Care, vol 25 no. 1 (2021) [10.1186/s13054-020-03394-4] [abs].