Nicholas Scott Heaton
Associate Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Associate Professor of Cell Biology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Member of the Duke Human Vaccine Institute
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. The University of Chicago, 2012
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- MGM 701: Foundations of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
In the News
- Duke Researchers Developing Universal Flu Vaccine (Nov 10, 2022)
- School of Medicine Researchers Honored for Study of the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (May 25, 2021 | School of Medicine)
- Estrogen Receptors in Mom’s Placenta Critical During Viral Infection (Jan 21, 2021)
- Sniffing Out COVID-Related Loss of Smell (Jan 11, 2021 | Duke Health News)
- Scent-Sensing Cells Have a Better Way to Fight Flu (Sep 1, 2020)
- Lung Cell Patches Its Own DNA on the Fly to Survive Influenza (Jul 29, 2019)
- Microbiology Society Recognizes Two Duke Researchers (Sep 6, 2018)
- New Vaccine Production Could Improve Flu Shot Accuracy (Jul 24, 2017)
- Schott, BH; Wang, L; Zhu, X; Harding, AT; Ko, ER; Bourgeois, JS; Washington, EJ; Burke, TW; Anderson, J; Bergstrom, E; Gardener, Z; Paterson, S; Brennan, RG; Chiu, C; McClain, MT; Woods, CW; Gregory, SG; Heaton, NS; Ko, DC, Single-cell genome-wide association reveals that a nonsynonymous variant in ERAP1 confers increased susceptibility to influenza virus, Cell Genom, vol 2 no. 11 (2022) [10.1016/j.xgen.2022.100207] [abs].
- Trimarco, JD; Nelson, SL; Chaparian, RR; Wells, AI; Murray, NB; Azadi, P; Coyne, CB; Heaton, NS, Cellular glycan modification by B3GAT1 broadly restricts influenza virus infection., Nature Communications, vol 13 no. 1 (2022) [10.1038/s41467-022-34111-0] [abs].
- Zhu, X; Trimarco, JD; Williams, CA; Barrera, A; Reddy, TE; Heaton, NS, ZBTB7A promotes virus-host homeostasis during human coronavirus 229E infection., Cell Reports, vol 41 no. 4 (2022) [10.1016/j.celrep.2022.111540] [abs].
- Yaron, TM; Heaton, BE; Levy, TM; Johnson, JL; Jordan, TX; Cohen, BM; Kerelsky, A; Lin, T-Y; Liberatore, KM; Bulaon, DK; Van Nest, SJ; Koundouros, N; Kastenhuber, ER; Mercadante, MN; Shobana-Ganesh, K; He, L; Schwartz, RE; Chen, S; Weinstein, H; Elemento, O; Piskounova, E; Nilsson-Payant, BE; Lee, G; Trimarco, JD; Burke, KN; Hamele, CE; Chaparian, RR; Harding, AT; Tata, A; Zhu, X; Tata, PR; Smith, CM; Possemato, AP; Tkachev, SL; Hornbeck, PV; Beausoleil, SA; Anand, SK; Aguet, F; Getz, G; Davidson, AD; Heesom, K; Kavanagh-Williamson, M; Matthews, DA; tenOever, BR; Cantley, LC; Blenis, J; Heaton, NS, Host protein kinases required for SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid phosphorylation and viral replication., Sci Signal, vol 15 no. 757 (2022) [10.1126/scisignal.abm0808] [abs].
- Wang, Z; Boretto, M; Millen, R; Natesh, N; Reckzeh, ES; Hsu, C; Negrete, M; Yao, H; Quayle, W; Heaton, BE; Harding, AT; Bose, S; Driehuis, E; Beumer, J; Rivera, GO; van Ineveld, RL; Gex, D; DeVilla, J; Wang, D; Puschhof, J; Geurts, MH; Yeung, A; Hamele, C; Smith, A; Bankaitis, E; Xiang, K; Ding, S; Nelson, D; Delubac, D; Rios, A; Abi-Hachem, R; Jang, D; Goldstein, BJ; Glass, C; Heaton, NS; Hsu, D; Clevers, H; Shen, X, Rapid tissue prototyping with micro-organospheres., Stem Cell Reports, vol 17 no. 9 (2022), pp. 1959-1975 [10.1016/j.stemcr.2022.07.016] [abs].