Neil Ross MacIntyre
Professor of Medicine1) Mechanical Ventilation and respiratory failure. Current projects involve studying patient-ventilator interactions during modes of support that require patient activity. The focus is on ventilatory muscle function during these assisted modes. Other projects include evaluating respiratory system mechanics in acute respiratory failure and the role of ECMO in the adult. Duke is also one of several institutions in the NIH ARDS Network, a consortium designed to perform multi-center trials.
2) Diffusing capacity of the lung for carbon monoxide. Current projects involve using a rapidly responding gas analyzer to measure lung diffusing capacity in discrete regions of the lung. These analyses are being extended into mechanically ventilated patients.
3) COPD. Current projects involve studying the physiology of cardio-respiratory conditioning in patients with obstructive lung disease and the role of pulmonary rehabilitation in improving COPD outcomes. Duke is also a member of two NIH sponsored multicenter programs: the COPDgene project correlating genetic profiles with physiologic/clinical phenotypes; and the NIH LOTT project evaluating the role of oxygen therapy in exercise and sleep hypoxemia.
4) Aerosol delivery systems. The current project is the development of a prototype aerosol generating catheter that can be directly inserted into the airways. Studies are being conducted in both ex vivo animal lungs and in mechanically ventilated patients.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Office Location: 1120 Hosp North, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-2720
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.D. Cornell University, 1972
- Yang, L-Y; Huang, Y-CT; Macintyre, NR, Patient-ventilator synchrony during pressure-targeted versus flow-targeted small tidal volume assisted ventilation., Journal of Critical Care, vol 22 no. 3 (2007), pp. 252-257 [10.1016/j.jcrc.2006.12.003] [abs].
- Macintyre, N; Crapo, RO; Viegi, G; Johnson, DC; van der Grinten, CPM; Brusasco, V; Burgos, F; Casaburi, R; Coates, A; Enright, P; Gustafsson, P; Hankinson, J; Jensen, R; McKay, R; Miller, MR; Navajas, D; Pedersen, OF; Pellegrino, R; Wanger, J, Standardisation of the single-breath determination of carbon monoxide uptake in the lung., The European Respiratory Journal, vol 26 no. 4 (2005), pp. 720-735 [10.1183/09031936.05.00034905] [abs].
- Brower, RG; Lanken, PN; MacIntyre, N; Matthay, MA; Morris, A; Ancukiewicz, M; Schoenfeld, D; Thompson, BT; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ARDS Clinical Trials Network,, Higher versus lower positive end-expiratory pressures in patients with the acute respiratory distress syndrome., The New England Journal of Medicine, vol 351 no. 4 (2004), pp. 327-336 [10.1056/NEJMoa032193] [abs].
- Huang, Y-CT; O'Brien, SR; MacIntyre, NR, Intrabreath diffusing capacity of the lung in healthy individuals at rest and during exercise., Chest, vol 122 no. 1 (2002), pp. 177-185 [10.1378/chest.122.1.177] [abs].
- MacIntyre, NR; Cook, DJ; Ely, EW; Epstein, SK; Fink, JB; Heffner, JE; Hess, D; Hubmayer, RD; Scheinhorn, DJ; American College of Chest Physicians, ; American Association for Respiratory Care, ; American College of Critical Care Medicine,, Evidence-based guidelines for weaning and discontinuing ventilatory support: a collective task force facilitated by the American College of Chest Physicians; the American Association for Respiratory Care; and the American College of Critical Care Medicine., Chest, vol 120 no. 6 Suppl (2001), pp. 375S-395S [10.1378/chest.120.6_suppl.375s] [abs].
- MacIntyre, NR; Leatherman, NE, Ventilatory muscle loads and the frequency-tidal volume pattern during inspiratory pressure-assisted (pressure-supported) ventilation., The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol 141 no. 2 (1990), pp. 327-331 [10.1164/ajrccm/141.2.327] [abs].
- MacIntyre, NR; Leatherman, NE, Mechanical loads on the ventilatory muscles. A theoretical analysis., The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol 139 no. 4 (1989), pp. 968-973 [10.1164/ajrccm/139.4.968] [abs].
- MacIntyre, NR, Respiratory function during pressure support ventilation., Chest, vol 89 no. 5 (1986), pp. 677-683 [10.1378/chest.89.5.677] [abs].
- MacIntyre, NR; Leatherman, N; Deitz, JL; Wagoner, R; Friedman, M, Distribution and uptake of helium, carbon monoxide, and acetylene in the lungs during high frequency oscillatory ventilation., Respiration Physiology, vol 63 no. 2 (1986), pp. 201-212 [10.1016/0034-5687(86)90114-3] [abs].