Nan Marie Jokerst
J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringDr. Nan Marie Jokerst is the J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University, and the Executive Director of the Duke Shared Materials Instrumentation Facility, a Duke shared cleanroom and characterization facility. She received her BS in Physics from Creighton University in 1982, and her MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California in 1984 and 1989, respectively. She is a Fellow of the IEEE, and has served as an elected member of the IEEE LEOS Board of Governors, and as the VP for Conferences and as the VP Technical Affairs. She is a Fellow of the Optical Society of America, and has served as Chair of the OSA Engineering Council. Her awards include an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, an IEEE Third Millenium Medal, the IEEE/HP Harriet B. Rigas Medal, and the Alumni in Academia Award for the University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering. She currently serves on the National Academies Board on Global Science and Technology. She has published over 200 refereed journal and conference publications, and has 6 patents.
Appointments and Affiliations
- J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Director of the Shared Materials Infrastructure Facility
- Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: Fciemas 3589, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5503
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 1989
- M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1984
- B.S. Creighton University, 1982
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2003
- Fellows. Optical Society of America. 2001
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 449: Sensors and Sensor Interface Design
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Duke & UNC: Rivals on the Court, Teammates in Science (Mar 5, 2021)
- Girls STEM Day @ Duke Fuels the STEM Pipeline (May 24, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- What Happens When a Dolphin Holds Its Breath? (May 17, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Custom Silicon Microparticles Dynamically Reconfigure On Demand (May 3, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Nurturing the Nanotech Maker in Us All (Sep 17, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Academic Council Chair Looks Ahead to a Year of Strategic Plans, Equity and Diversity Studies (Sep 24, 2015)
- A UNC/Duke/NCSU collaboration could lead to next nano eureka (Sep 18, 2015 | Triangle Business Journal)
- Duke part of NSF-funded network to help businesses, educators pursue nanotechnology innovation (Sep 17, 2015)
- Convocation Message to New Grad & Professional Students: Think Big, Reach Out, Lead On (Aug 20, 2015)
- Pratt Professor Nan Jokerst Elected Chair of the Academic Council (Feb 24, 2015)
- Discovery Could Lead to End of Sunburn Pain (Aug 5, 2013)
- Khatib, O; Tyler, T; Padilla, WJ; Jokerst, NM; Everitt, HO, Strain Mapping with THz Metamaterial Composites, International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Irmmw Thz, vol 2020-November (2020) [10.1109/IRMMW-THz46771.2020.9370546] [abs].
- Berube, DM; Bogomoletc, E; Eng, N; Jones, JL; Jokerst, N, Social science and infrastructure networks and the human–technology interface, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol 22 no. 9 (2020) [10.1007/s11051-020-05022-2] [abs].
- Woods, CM; Senlik, O; Greening, G; Muldoon, TJ; Jokerst, NM, Depth-sensitive tissue measurements using a multi-pixel photodetector probe, Optics Infobase Conference Papers, vol Part F178-Translational-2020 (2020) [abs].
- Dighe, A; Jokerst, N, On-chip fluorescence sensing for fluidics platforms using thin film silicon photodetectors, Biomedical Optics Express, vol 11 no. 10 (2020), pp. 5772-5782 [10.1364/BOE.402246] [abs].
- LaRiviere, B; Ferguson, NL; Garman, KS; Fisher, DA; Jokerst, NM, Methods of extraction of optical properties from diffuse reflectance measurements of ex-vivo human colon tissue using thin film silicon photodetector arrays., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 10 no. 11 (2019), pp. 5703-5715 [10.1364/BOE.10.005703] [abs].