Louis Edwin DeFrate
Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Duke Awards 44 Distinguished Professorships (May 4, 2023 | Duke Today)
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report)
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News)
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine)
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News)
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Kim-Wang, SY; Bradley, PX; Cutcliffe, HC; Collins, AT; Crook, BS; Paranjape, CS; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, Auto-segmentation of the tibia and femur from knee MR images via deep learning and its application to cartilage strain and recovery., J Biomech, vol 149 (2023) [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2023.111473] [abs].
- Bradley, PX; Thomas, KN; Kratzer, AL; Robinson, AC; Wittstein, JR; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, The Interplay of Biomechanical and Biological Changes Following Meniscus Injury., Current Rheumatology Reports, vol 25 no. 2 (2023), pp. 35-46 [10.1007/s11926-022-01093-3] [abs].
- Foody, JN; Bradley, PX; Spritzer, CE; Wittstein, JR; DeFrate, LE; Englander, ZA, Elevated In Vivo ACL Strain Is Associated With a Straight Knee in Both the Sagittal and the Coronal Planes., Am J Sports Med, vol 51 no. 2 (2023), pp. 422-428 [10.1177/03635465221141876] [abs].
- Coppock, JA; Zimmer, NE; Englander, ZA; Danyluk, ST; Kosinski, AS; Spritzer, CE; Goode, AP; DeFrate, LE, In vivo intervertebral disc mechanical deformation following a treadmill walking "stress test" is inversely related to T1rho relaxation time., Osteoarthritis Cartilage, vol 31 no. 1 (2023), pp. 126-133 [10.1016/j.joca.2022.09.008] [abs].
- Kim-Wang, SY; Spritzer, CE; Owusu-Akyaw, K; Coppock, JA; Goode, AP; Englander, ZA; Wittstein, JR; DeFrate, LE, The Predicted Position of the Knee Near the Time of ACL Rupture Is Similar Between 2 Commonly Observed Patterns of Bone Bruising on MRI., Am J Sports Med, vol 51 no. 1 (2023), pp. 58-65 [10.1177/03635465221131551] [abs].