Louis Edwin DeFrate
Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report)
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News)
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine)
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News)
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Goode, AP; Cleveland, RJ; George, SZ; Schwartz, TA; Kraus, VB; Renner, JB; Gracely, RH; DeFrate, LE; Hu, D; Jordan, JM; Golightly, YM, Predictors of Lumbar Spine Degeneration and Low Back Pain in the Community: The Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project., Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), vol 74 no. 10 (2022), pp. 1659-1666 [10.1002/acr.24643] [abs].
- Coppock, JA; Zimmer, NE; Englander, ZA; Danyluk, ST; Kosinski, AS; Spritzer, CE; Goode, AP; DeFrate, LE, In vivo intervertebral disc mechanical deformation following a treadmill walking "stress test" is inversely related to T1rho relaxation time., Osteoarthritis Cartilage (2022) [10.1016/j.joca.2022.09.008] [abs].
- Englander, ZA; Foody, JN; Cutcliffe, HC; Wittstein, JR; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, Use of a Novel Multimodal Imaging Technique to Model In Vivo Quadriceps Force and ACL Strain During Dynamic Activity., Am J Sports Med, vol 50 no. 10 (2022), pp. 2688-2697 [10.1177/03635465221107085] [abs].
- Martin, JT; Wesorick, B; Oldweiler, AB; Kosinski, AS; Goode, AP; DeFrate, LE, In vivo fluid transport in human intervertebral discs varies by spinal level and disc region., Jor Spine, vol 5 no. 2 (2022) [10.1002/jsp2.1199] [abs].
- Heckelman, LN; Soher, BJ; Spritzer, CE; Lewis, BD; DeFrate, LE, Design and validation of a semi-automatic bone segmentation algorithm from MRI to improve research efficiency., Scientific Reports, vol 12 no. 1 (2022) [10.1038/s41598-022-11785-6] [abs].