Joseph Steven Fernandez-Moure
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Office Location: DUMC 2837, Durham, NC 27710
- Email Address: email@example.com
- University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, 2019
- Cornell University, Weill Medical College, 2017
- M.S. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2011
- M.D. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Medical School, 2009
- B.A. Middlebury College, 2003
Research InterestsI am an academic surgeon with a practice in trauma, critical care and acute care surgery with an active research program focused on the development and translation of therapeutic strategies to improve the healing of acute traumatic injuries. My motivation for this works lies in the lack of available therapeutics for acute traumatic wounds which are often left to heal without intervention. Rib fractures exemplify this problem. I want to provide treatment solutions to the trauma patient where none exist. My work is focused on enhancing the innate capacity of the body to heal broken bones and acute traumatic wounds through the use of engineered scaffolds, nanomaterials, and drug delivery systems. We are applying biomedical engineering principles to common traumatic injuries and in particular, rib fractures. We lack minimally invasive approaches to rib fracture repair and I have focused my lab on developing therapeutic solutions to this common injury. Using biologically derived materials we have studied the innate immune response to wound healing. I have been actively involved in the development of instruments and devices related to the treatment of rib fractures and chest wall injury. I have extensive expertise in the handling of tissue-engineered constructs for soft tissue healing and boney repair as well as the establishment and optimization of large and small animal models for the evaluation of engineered and commercially available prosthetics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow of the Year . National Hispanic Medical Association. 2019
- INVEST-C Research Hackathon Awardee . Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. 2019
- Junior Faculty Award. Surgical Infection Society. 2019
- Second Place Best Basic Science Paper . Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter of ACS. 2018
- Best Scientific Presentation Annual John F. and Carolyn Bookout Symposium. Houston Methodist Hospital. 2017
- National Institutes of Health/National Hispanic Medical Association Scholarship for Academic Development. NIH-NHMA. 2017
- Rice Education in Management for Physician (REMP) Trainee Scholar. Rice University. 2017
- American College of Surgeons Jameson L. Chassin, MD, FACS, Award for Professionalism in General Surgery Finalist. American College of Surgeons. 2016
- Raleigh R. Ross Scholar in Surgery . Texas Surgical Society . 2016
- Resident Teaching Award. Houston Methodist Hospital. 2016
- Chief Resident Teaching Award-Trauma Rotation. Memorial Herman Hospital . 2015
- Second Place Best Podium Presentation . South Texas American College of Surgeons. 2015
- Best Podium Presentation. South Texas American College of Surgeons. 2014
- The Chairs’ Seed Grant Award in Cardiovascular Sciences . Houston Methodist Hospital. 2014
- Best Poster Presentation. International Anesthesia Research Society . 2013
- American Hernia Society Research Resident Award. Americas Hernia Society. 2012
- Methodist Associate Training Academy Travel Award. Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute. 2012
- William and Courtenay Bass Research Resident Scholarship Award. Houston Methodist Hospital. 2011
- National Cancer Institute Cancer Education Program- Summer Research Program. National Cancer Institute- New Jersey Medical School. 2006
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health Research Scholar. Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health . 1998
In the News
- Six School of Medicine Physician-Scientists selected to receive Strong Start Awards (Jun 1, 2021 | School of Medicine)
- Society Spotlight:The Latino Surgical Society (May 29, 2019 | General Surgery News)
- Romero Arenas, MA; Ortega, G; Fernandez-Moure, JS; Lopez, J, The Latino Surgical Society and the Hispanic/Latino academic surgical workforce., Am J Surg, vol 224 no. 1 Pt B (2022), pp. 296-298 [10.1016/j.amjsurg.2022.03.020] [abs].
- Van Orden, K; Santos, J; Stanfield, B; Frost, LS; Ruditsky, A; Foster, A; Brahmbhatt, TS; Burke, PA; Fernandez-Moure, J; Haines, K; Agarwal, S; Kasotakis, G, Bovine versus porcine acellular dermal matrix for abdominal wall herniorrhaphy or bridging., Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg, vol 48 no. 3 (2022), pp. 1993-2001 [10.1007/s00068-021-01641-z] [abs].
- Rivas, L; Vella, M; Ju, T; Fernandez-Moure, JS; Sparks, A; Seamon, MJ; Sarani, B, Early Chemoprophylaxis Against Venous Thromboembolism in Patients With Traumatic Brain Injury., Am Surg, vol 88 no. 2 (2022), pp. 187-193 [10.1177/0003134820983171] [abs].
- Van Eps, JL; Boada, C; Scherba, JC; Zavlin, D; Arrighetti, N; Shi, A; Wang, X; Tasciotti, E; Buell, JF; Ellsworth, WA; Bonville, DJ; Fernandez-Moure, JS, Amniotic fluid allograft enhances the host response to ventral hernia repair using acellular dermal matrix., J Tissue Eng Regen Med, vol 15 no. 12 (2021), pp. 1092-1104 [10.1002/term.3255] [abs].
- Fernandez-Moure, JS; Van Eps, JL; Scherba, JC; Haddix, S; Livingston, M; Bryan, NS; Cantu, C; Valson, C; Taraballi, F; Kaplan, LJ; Olsen, R; Tasciotti, E, Polyester Mesh Functionalization with Nitric Oxide-Releasing Silica Nanoparticles Reduces Early Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Contamination., Surgical Infections, vol 22 no. 9 (2021), pp. 910-922 [10.1089/sur.2020.288] [abs].