James B. Duke Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry
Appointments and Affiliations
- James B. Duke Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry
- Adjunct Professor in the Department of Biochemistry
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Yale University, 2000
- BIOCHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 593: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 695: Understanding NMR Spectroscopy
- BIOCHEM 700: Graduate Training Internship
- PHARM 493: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Transcription Factors May Inadvertently Lock in DNA Mistakes (Oct 21, 2020)
- Al-Hashimi Receives Prestigious National Academy of Sciences Award in Molecular Biology (Jan 22, 2020 | School of Medicine)
- Foundation Funds an 'Expedition' to Map Novel Structures in the Human Genome (Jul 18, 2018 | School of Medicine)
- Molecular Movies of RNA Guide Drug Discovery (May 4, 2018)
- A Mutational Timer is Built Into the Chemistry of DNA (Jan 31, 2018)
- A weird twist in DNA might explain why it’s such a great blueprint for life (Aug 3, 2016 | The Washington Post)
- DNA's Dynamic Nature Well-Suited for Blueprint of Life (Jul 29, 2016)
- Biochem Grad Student Finalist for International Prize (Jun 7, 2016)
- Drug made from bananas can kill viruses including hepatitis C and flu (Oct 23, 2015 | The Daily Mail)
- Duke Announces 2015 Distinguished Professors (May 1, 2015)
- ‘Quantum jitter’ mechanism behind the random mutations that drive evolution and cancer (Mar 13, 2015 | Science a Gogo)
- 'Quantum Jitters' Could Form Basis of Evolution, Cancer (Mar 11, 2015)
- Hashim Al-Hashimi named director for Center for RNA Biology (Sep 5, 2014)
- Rangadurai, A; Shi, H; Xu, Y; Liu, B; Abou Assi, H; Boom, JD; Zhou, H; Kimsey, IJ; Al-Hashimi, HM, Measuring thermodynamic preferences to form non-native conformations in nucleic acids using ultraviolet melting., Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol 119 no. 24 (2022) [10.1073/pnas.2112496119] [abs].
- Lai, LB; Lai, SM; Szymanski, ES; Kapur, M; Choi, EK; Al-Hashimi, HM; Ackerman, SL; Gopalan, V, Structural basis for impaired 5' processing of a mutant tRNA associated with defects in neuronal homeostasis., Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol 119 no. 10 (2022) [10.1073/pnas.2119529119] [abs].
- Shi, H; Kimsey, IJ; Gu, S; Liu, H-F; Pham, U; Schumacher, MA; Al-Hashimi, HM, Revealing A-T and G-C Hoogsteen base pairs in stressed protein-bound duplex DNA., Nucleic Acids Res, vol 49 no. 21 (2021), pp. 12540-12555 [10.1093/nar/gkab936] [abs].
- Liu, B; Shi, H; Al-Hashimi, HM, Developments in solution-state NMR yield broader and deeper views of the dynamic ensembles of nucleic acids., Curr Opin Struct Biol, vol 70 (2021), pp. 16-25 [10.1016/j.sbi.2021.02.007] [abs].
- Liu, B; Shi, H; Rangadurai, A; Nussbaumer, F; Chu, C-C; Erharter, KA; Case, DA; Kreutz, C; Al-Hashimi, HM, A quantitative model predicts how m6A reshapes the kinetic landscape of nucleic acid hybridization and conformational transitions., Nature Communications, vol 12 no. 1 (2021) [10.1038/s41467-021-25253-8] [abs].