James B. Duke Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry
Appointments and Affiliations
- James B. Duke Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry
- Professor of Biochemistry
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Yale University, 2000
- BIOCHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 593: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 695: Understanding NMR Spectroscopy
- BIOCHEM 700: Graduate Training Internship
- PHARM 493: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Transcription Factors May Inadvertently Lock in DNA Mistakes (Oct 21, 2020)
- Al-Hashimi Receives Prestigious National Academy of Sciences Award in Molecular Biology (Jan 22, 2020 | School of Medicine)
- Foundation Funds an 'Expedition' to Map Novel Structures in the Human Genome (Jul 18, 2018 | School of Medicine)
- Molecular Movies of RNA Guide Drug Discovery (May 4, 2018)
- A Mutational Timer is Built Into the Chemistry of DNA (Jan 31, 2018)
- A weird twist in DNA might explain why it’s such a great blueprint for life (Aug 3, 2016 | The Washington Post)
- DNA's Dynamic Nature Well-Suited for Blueprint of Life (Jul 29, 2016)
- Biochem Grad Student Finalist for International Prize (Jun 7, 2016)
- Drug made from bananas can kill viruses including hepatitis C and flu (Oct 23, 2015 | The Daily Mail)
- Duke Announces 2015 Distinguished Professors (May 1, 2015)
- ‘Quantum jitter’ mechanism behind the random mutations that drive evolution and cancer (Mar 13, 2015 | Science a Gogo)
- 'Quantum Jitters' Could Form Basis of Evolution, Cancer (Mar 11, 2015)
- Hashim Al-Hashimi named director for Center for RNA Biology (Sep 5, 2014)
- Shi, H; Kimsey, IJ; Gu, S; Liu, H-F; Pham, U; Schumacher, MA; Al-Hashimi, HM, Revealing A-T and G-C Hoogsteen base pairs in stressed protein-bound duplex DNA., Nucleic Acids Res, vol 49 no. 21 (2021), pp. 12540-12555 [10.1093/nar/gkab936] [abs].
- Liu, B; Shi, H; Al-Hashimi, HM, Developments in solution-state NMR yield broader and deeper views of the dynamic ensembles of nucleic acids., Curr Opin Struct Biol, vol 70 (2021), pp. 16-25 [10.1016/j.sbi.2021.02.007] [abs].
- Liu, B; Shi, H; Rangadurai, A; Nussbaumer, F; Chu, C-C; Erharter, KA; Case, DA; Kreutz, C; Al-Hashimi, HM, A quantitative model predicts how m6A reshapes the kinetic landscape of nucleic acid hybridization and conformational transitions., Nature Communications, vol 12 no. 1 (2021) [10.1038/s41467-021-25253-8] [abs].
- Kelly, ML; Chu, C-C; Shi, H; Ganser, LR; Bogerd, HP; Huynh, K; Hou, Y; Cullen, BR; Al-Hashimi, HM, Understanding the characteristics of nonspecific binding of drug-like compounds to canonical stem-loop RNAs and their implications for functional cellular assays., Rna (New York, N.Y.), vol 27 no. 1 (2021), pp. 12-26 [10.1261/rna.076257.120] [abs].
- Abou Assi, H; Rangadurai, AK; Shi, H; Liu, B; Clay, MC; Erharter, K; Kreutz, C; Holley, CL; Al-Hashimi, HM, 2'-O-Methylation can increase the abundance and lifetime of alternative RNA conformational states., Nucleic Acids Res, vol 48 no. 21 (2020), pp. 12365-12379 [10.1093/nar/gkaa928] [abs].