Benjamin Aaron Alman
James R. Urbaniak, M.D., Distinguished Professor of Orthopedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- James R. Urbaniak, M.D., Distinguished Professor of Orthopedic Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in Cell Biology
- Professor in Pediatrics
- Professor in the Department of Pathology
- Professor in Pharmacology and Cancer Biology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Co-Director of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.D. Thomas Jefferson University, Sidney Kimmel Medical College, 1986
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- New Investigator Recognition Award Winners. Orthopaedic Research Society. 1992
- PATHOL 793: Research Independent Study
In the News
- We Now Know Why It Takes Longer for Older People's Bones to Heal (Jan 22, 2020 | Duke Health News)
- Scientists Identify ‘Youth Factor’ in Blood Cells That Speeds Fracture Repair (Dec 5, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- Cheese curds and mustard baths: 6 wacky ways Olympians prep for competition (Aug 8, 2016 | STAT)
- Scientists Trace Origin Cell of Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors, Test Drug Target (Jul 15, 2016)
- Duke Study: Old Bones Can Regain Youthful Healing Power (May 20, 2015)
- Gene Mutation Drives Cartilage Tumor Formation (Feb 17, 2015)
- Schut, A-RW; Vriends, ALM; Sacchetti, A; Timbergen, MJM; Alman, BA; Al-Jazrawe, M; Grünhagen, DJ; Verhoef, C; Sleijfer, S; Wiemer, EAC, In desmoid-type fibromatosis cells sorafenib induces ferroptosis and apoptosis, which are enhanced by autophagy inhibition., Eur J Surg Oncol, vol 48 no. 7 (2022), pp. 1527-1535 [10.1016/j.ejso.2022.02.020] [abs].
- Zhang, H; Puviindran, V; Nadesan, P; Ding, X; Shen, L; Tang, YJ; Tsushima, H; Yahara, Y; Ban, GI; Zhang, G-F; Karner, CM; Alman, BA, Distinct Roles of Glutamine Metabolism in Benign and Malignant Cartilage Tumors With IDH Mutations., J Bone Miner Res, vol 37 no. 5 (2022), pp. 983-996 [10.1002/jbmr.4532] [abs].
- Yahara, Y; Nguyen, T; Ishikawa, K; Kamei, K; Alman, BA, The origins and roles of osteoclasts in bone development, homeostasis and repair., Development, vol 149 no. 8 (2022) [10.1242/dev.199908] [abs].
- Naert, T; Tulkens, D; Van Nieuwenhuysen, T; Przybyl, J; Demuynck, S; van de Rijn, M; Al-Jazrawe, M; Alman, BA; Coucke, PJ; De Leeneer, K; Vanhove, C; Savvides, SN; Creytens, D; Vleminckx, K, CRISPR-SID: Identifying EZH2 as a druggable target for desmoid tumors via in vivo dependency mapping., Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, vol 118 no. 47 (2021) [10.1073/pnas.2115116118] [abs].
- Tang, YJ; Puviindran, V; Xiang, Y; Yahara, Y; Zhang, H; Nadesan, P; Diao, Y; Kirsch, DG; Alman, BA, Tumor-propagating side population cells are a dynamic subpopulation in undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma., Jci Insight, vol 6 no. 22 (2021) [10.1172/jci.insight.148768] [abs].