This internal funding announcement will award funds of up to $50,000 for pilot projects that benefit health by providing important disease insights, or by developing technologies to aid in disease prevention, diagnosis or treatment. Applications are encouraged – but are not required to be – in areas of rehabilitation medicine or the challenges addressed by the Translating Duke Health initiative to include:
- Keeping the Heart Young
- Brain Resilience and Repair
- Ending Disease Where it Begins
- Controlling the Immune System
- Solid Tumor Brain Metastases
While we encourage applications that address the major challenges highlighted by the Translating Duke Health initiative and/or current challenges in rehabilitation medicine, all applications will be considered. All applications must be collaborations between faculty members in the Pratt School of Engineering and the School of Medicine, with a co-principal investigator from each school.
Beyond achieving new partnerships between the School of Medicine and Pratt, this opportunity should catalyze research or development that will lead to follow-on funding, which can take various forms (e.g. NIH, CTSI, or Coulter grant, SBIR).
Application submission deadline is 11:59 pm on Wednesday, August 29, 2018.
- Proposals must be submitted by Duke regular rank faculty and comply with the Duke University Policy on PI Status in the Duke Faculty Handbook.
- Proposals are encouraged from new teams of investigators or existing collaborators proposing a new research topic.
- Multiple successful proposals will be selected for funding of up to $50,000 per award.
- More than one proposal may be submitted per faculty member acting as PI, but the faculty member is only eligible to receive one award as PI during a given funding cycle.
- Research teams must include at least one investigator with a primary appointment in Duke School of Medicine and at least one investigator with a primary appointment in the Pratt School of Engineering.
- Teams whose proposal to a previous MEDx Pilot Project RFA was not selected for funding may resubmit the proposal if it meets the requirements for this announcement.
- Final Selection: Late September, 2018
- Funding Period: November 1, 2018 – October 31, 2019
- View the RFA for full proposal instructions.
MEDx uses the MyResearchProposal online application software to submit applications. To apply:
- To apply, visit My Research Proposal, click on “Create New User” (or log in if you already have an account). Proposals must be submitted under the Principal Investigator’s name.
- A step-by-step user’s guide for applying via the MyResearchProposal software is available - Please review this document.
- Enter Access Code ‘MEDX’ then select the “MEDx Pilot Projects 2018” funding opportunity and follow the instructions.
- For questions concerning MyResearchProposal passwords or system issues, please contact email@example.com.