MEDx is pleased to announce the details of the upcoming Kaganov Symposium on Friday, October 20th, 2017. The Symposium kicks off the Kaganov Research Initiative in Pulmonary Medicine and Engineering, made possible by a generous gift from Carol and Alan Kaganov.
Dr. Mary Klotman, Dean of Duke's School of Medicine will open the Symposium and Dr. Ravi Bellamkonda, Dean of Duke's Pratt School of Engineering, will give the closing remarks. In addition, we welcome Ms. Teresa Barnes, an advocate for patients with lung diseases. The Symposium will also host the following speakers, presenting their research on pulmonary fibrosis.
- Scott Palmer, MD, Professor of Medicine and Immunology and Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Medicine at Duke University: "IPF PRO - A Multicenter Prospective Registry of Over 600 IPF Patients: Early Insights and Lessons Learned"
- Michael Rubinstein, PhD, John P Barker Distinguished Professor, Department of Chemistry, Department of Applied Physical Sciences, and Program in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill: "Airway Surface Brush Sweeps Lungs Clean: Polymer Science Helps us Breathe Easier"
- Christina Barkauskas, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Duke University: "Lung Alveolar Epithelial Stem Cells and Pathogenesis of Pulmonary Fibrosis"
- Bastiaan Driehuys, PhD, Professor of Radiology with secondary appointments in Biomedical Engineering, Medical Physics, and Physics at Duke University: "Imaging Pulmonary Gas Exchange using Xenon MRI"
- Jamie Todd, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine with a secondary appointment in the Duke Clinical Research Institute at Duke University: "Determining the Role of Rare Genetic Variation in Pulmonary Fibrosis: Results of a Whole Exome Sequencing Study"
Winners of the first Kaganov Research Initiative Request for Applications will be announced at the Symposium.
Friday, October 20th, 1-4pm
- Duke University School of Nursing Auditorium, Room 1014
- Reception to follow in DUSON Atrium
- Open to the Duke Campus Community