Richard Edward Moon
Professor of AnesthesiologyResearch interests include the study of cardiorespiratory function in humans exposed to environmental conditions ranging from 200 feet of seawater depth to high altitude, gas exchange during diving, the pathophysiology of high altitude pulmonary edema, the effect of anesthesia and postoperative analgesia on pulmonary function and monitoring of tissue oxygenation. Ongoing human studies include the use of fractals to study breathing patterns during environmental and perioperative stress, mechanisms of immersion pulmonary edema and the effect of chemosensitivity on postoperative ventilation and gas exchange.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Anesthesiology
- Medical Director, Hyperbaric Center
- Professor of Medicine
- Office Location: 5676 Hafs Bldg, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-8762
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.D. McGill University (Canada), 1973
Research InterestsMechanisms of opioid-induced respiratory depression
Decompression procedures for altitude diving
Prevention and treatment of swimming-induced pulmonary edema (immersion pulmonary edema)
Testing of novel breathing gases for decompression in divers
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Leonard Palumbo Jr, MD Faculty Achievement Award. Duke University School of Medicine. 2012
- Teacher of the Year. Dept. of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center. 2009
- Mentorship Award. AMA-Women Physicians Congress Physician Mentor Recognition Program. 2007
- Award for Excellence in Medical Student Education. Dept. of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center. 1997
- Teacher of the Year. Dept. of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center. 1986
- ANESTH 445C: Physiology & Medicine of Extreme Environments
- ASEP 301B: Research in ASEP
In the News
- Sildenafil: The Pulmonary Edema Wonder Drug (Jul 8, 2019 | Research Outreach)
- Swimming-Induced Pulmonary Edema in Triathletes (Jun 20, 2019)
- Study Suggests Sildenafil May Relieve Severe Form of Edema in Swimmers (Feb 16, 2016)
- Case study: Computers in high altitude expeditions (Mar 19, 2014 | Rugged PC Review)
- Science Under Pressure: Inside the Hyperbaric Chamber (Feb 28, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- Martina, SD; Freiberger, JJ; Peacher, DF; Natoli, MJ; Schinazi, EA; Kernagis, DN; Potter, JVF; Otteni, CE; Moon, RE, Sildenafil: Possible Prophylaxis against Swimming-induced Pulmonary Edema., Med Sci Sports Exerc, vol 49 no. 9 (2017), pp. 1755-1757 [10.1249/MSS.0000000000001293] [abs].
- Grünig, H; Nikolaidis, PT; Moon, RE; Knechtle, B, Diagnosis of Swimming Induced Pulmonary Edema-A Review., Frontiers in Physiology, vol 8 (2017) [10.3389/fphys.2017.00652] [abs].
- Vann, RD; Butler, FK; Mitchell, SJ; Moon, RE, Decompression illness., Lancet, vol 377 no. 9760 (2011), pp. 153-164 [10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61085-9] [abs].
- Peacher, DF; Pecorella, SRH; Freiberger, JJ; Natoli, MJ; Schinazi, EA; Doar, PO; Boso, AE; Walker, AJ; Gill, M; Kernagis, D; Uguccioni, D; Moon, RE, Effects of hyperoxia on ventilation and pulmonary hemodynamics during immersed prone exercise at 4.7 ATA: possible implications for immersion pulmonary edema., J Appl Physiol (1985), vol 109 no. 1 (2010), pp. 68-78 [10.1152/japplphysiol.01431.2009] [abs].
- Moon, RE; Gray, LL, Breath-hold diving and cerebral decompression illness., Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine : Journal of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Inc, vol 37 no. 1 (2010), pp. 1-5 [abs].
- Moon, RE; Cherry, AD; Stolp, BW; Camporesi, EM, Pulmonary gas exchange in diving., Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), vol 106 no. 2 (2009), pp. 668-677 [10.1152/japplphysiol.91104.2008] [abs].
- Wester, TE; Cherry, AD; Pollock, NW; Freiberger, JJ; Natoli, MJ; Schinazi, EA; Doar, PO; Boso, AE; Alford, EL; Walker, AJ; Uguccioni, DM; Kernagis, D; Moon, RE, Effects of head and body cooling on hemodynamics during immersed prone exercise at 1 ATA., Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), vol 106 no. 2 (2009), pp. 691-700 [10.1152/japplphysiol.91237.2008] [abs].
- Cherry, AD; Forkner, IF; Frederick, HJ; Natoli, MJ; Schinazi, EA; Longphre, JP; Conard, JL; White, WD; Freiberger, JJ; Stolp, BW; Pollock, NW; Doar, PO; Boso, AE; Alford, EL; Walker, AJ; Ma, AC; Rhodes, MA; Moon, RE, Predictors of increased PaCO2 during immersed prone exercise at 4.7 ATA., Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), vol 106 no. 1 (2009), pp. 316-325 [10.1152/japplphysiol.00885.2007] [abs].
- Forkner, IF; Piantadosi, CA; Scafetta, N; Moon, RE, Hyperoxia-induced tissue hypoxia: a danger?, Anesthesiology, vol 106 no. 5 (2007), pp. 1051-1055 [10.1097/01.anes.0000265167.14383.44] [abs].
- Moon, RE, Nitroglycerine: relief from the heartache of decompression sickness?, Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), vol 101 no. 6 (2006), pp. 1537-1538 [10.1152/japplphysiol.00777.2006] [abs].
- Moon, RE, Bubbles in the brain: what to do for arterial gas embolism?, Critical Care Medicine, vol 33 no. 4 (2005), pp. 909-910 [10.1097/01.ccm.0000159726.47336.f8] [abs].
- Mummery, HJ; Stolp, BW; deL Dear, G; Doar, PO; Natoli, MJ; Boso, AE; Archibald, JD; Hobbs, GW; El-Moalem, HE; Moon, RE, Effects of age and exercise on physiological dead space during simulated dives at 2.8 ATA., Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), vol 94 no. 2 (2003), pp. 507-517 [10.1152/japplphysiol.00367.2002] [abs].