Purushothama Rao Tata
Assistant Professor of Cell BiologyLung regeneration
Lung stem cells
Single Cell Biology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Cell Biology
- Assistant Professor in Medicine
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Ulm (Germany), 2011
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Rising Star Award. International Society for Regenerative Biology. 2022
- Whitehead Scholar Award. Duke University School of Medicine. 2016
- NIH K99-Pathways to Independence Award. National Institutes of Health. 2015
- The Fund for Medical Discovery (FMD) Research Award. Massachusetts General Hospital. 2014
- CELLBIO 493: Research Independent Study
- CELLBIO 730: Stem Cell Course
- CMB 710D: Cell & Molecular Biology Module IV
- CMB 710E: Cell & Molecular Biology Module V
- DSCB 720: Stem Cell Course
- MOLCAN 730: Stem Cell Course
- PHARM 730: Stem Cell Course
In the News
- Study Provides Clues to Developing Better Treatments for Lung Damage (Nov 15, 2023 | School of Medicine)
- Tata to Receive International Society for Regenerative Biology Rising Star Award (Jul 20, 2022)
- NIH-Directors blog- Mini-Lungs in a Lab Dish Mimic Early COVID-19 Infection (Nov 19, 2020 | NIH-Directors blog)
- Lab-Grown Mini-Lungs Mimic the Real Thing – Right Down to Covid Infection (Oct 22, 2020)
- SARS-CoV-2 Targets Many Cell Types, Analysis of Single-Cell Data Suggests (May 11, 2020 | www.hhmi.org)
- Scientists Find Stomach Cells In Lung Cancer (Mar 26, 2018)
- Purushothama Tata: So Many Ideas, So Little Time (Oct 2, 2016)
- Karmaus, PWF; Tata, A; Meacham, JM; Day, F; Thrower, D; Tata, PR; Fessler, MB, Meta-Analysis of COVID-19 BAL Single-Cell RNA Sequencing Reveals Alveolar Epithelial Transitions and Unique Alveolar Epithelial Cell Fates., Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, vol 69 no. 6 (2023), pp. 623-637 [10.1165/rcmb.2023-0077OC] [abs].
- Vazquez-Armendariz, AI; Tata, PR, Recent advances in lung organoid development and applications in disease modeling., J Clin Invest, vol 133 no. 22 (2023) [10.1172/JCI170500] [abs].
- Konkimalla, A; Konishi, S; Macadlo, L; Kobayashi, Y; Farino, ZJ; Miyashita, N; El Haddad, L; Morowitz, J; Barkauskas, CE; Agarwal, P; Souma, T; ElMallah, MK; Tata, A; Tata, PR, Transitional cell states sculpt tissue topology during lung regeneration., Cell Stem Cell, vol 30 no. 11 (2023), pp. 1486-1502.e9 [10.1016/j.stem.2023.10.001] [abs].
- Hou, YJ; Chiba, S; Leist, SR; Meganck, RM; Martinez, DR; Schäfer, A; Catanzaro, NJ; Sontake, V; West, A; Edwards, CE; Yount, B; Lee, RE; Gallant, SC; Zost, SJ; Powers, J; Adams, L; Kong, EF; Mattocks, M; Tata, A; Randell, SH; Tata, PR; Halfmann, P; Crowe, JE; Kawaoka, Y; Baric, RS, Host range, transmissibility and antigenicity of a pangolin coronavirus., Nature Microbiology, vol 8 no. 10 (2023), pp. 1820-1833 [10.1038/s41564-023-01476-x] [abs].
- El Haddad, L; Lai, E; Murthy, PKL; Biswas, DD; Soufny, R; Roger, AL; Tata, PR; ElMallah, MK, GAA deficiency disrupts distal airway cells in Pompe disease., Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, vol 325 no. 3 (2023), pp. L288-L298 [10.1152/ajplung.00032.2023] [abs].