Nicholas Scott Heaton
Associate Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Our research group is primarily interested in the study of respiratory RNA viruses. We have published work on viruses of the families: orthomyxoviridae, paramyxoviridae, and coronaviridae. The research in our laboratory is predominantly focused understanding the mechanisms of viral pathogenesis with the ultimate goal of developing new therapies that can be used to combat both current and future viral diseases.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Associate Professor of Cell Biology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Member of the Duke Human Vaccine Institute
- Office Location: 3136 MSRB III, Box 3054, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1351
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. The University of Chicago, 2012
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- MGM 701: Foundations of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
In the News
- Duke Researchers Developing Universal Flu Vaccine (Nov 10, 2022)
- School of Medicine Researchers Honored for Study of the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (May 25, 2021 | School of Medicine)
- Estrogen Receptors in Mom’s Placenta Critical During Viral Infection (Jan 21, 2021)
- Sniffing Out COVID-Related Loss of Smell (Jan 11, 2021 | Duke Health News)
- Scent-Sensing Cells Have a Better Way to Fight Flu (Sep 1, 2020)
- Lung Cell Patches Its Own DNA on the Fly to Survive Influenza (Jul 29, 2019)
- Microbiology Society Recognizes Two Duke Researchers (Sep 6, 2018)
- New Vaccine Production Could Improve Flu Shot Accuracy (Jul 24, 2017)
- Hamele, CE; Spurrier, MA; Leonard, RA; Heaton, NS, Segmented, Negative-Sense RNA Viruses of Humans: Genetic Systems and Experimental Uses of Reporter Strains., Annu Rev Virol, vol 10 no. 1 (2023), pp. 261-282 [10.1146/annurev-virology-111821-120445] [abs].
- Skavicus, S; Heaton, NS, Approaches for timeline reductions in pathogenesis studies using genetically modified mice., Microbiology Spectrum, vol 11 no. 5 (2023) [10.1128/spectrum.02521-23] [abs].
- Bacsik, DJ; Dadonaite, B; Butler, A; Greaney, AJ; Heaton, NS; Bloom, JD, Influenza virus transcription and progeny production are poorly correlated in single cells., Elife, vol 12 (2023) [10.7554/eLife.86852] [abs].
- Leonard, RA; Rao, VN; Bartlett, A; Froggatt, HM; Luftig, MA; Heaton, BE; Heaton, NS, A low-background, fluorescent assay to evaluate inhibitors of diverse viral proteases., J Virol, vol 97 no. 8 (2023) [10.1128/jvi.00597-23] [abs].
- Goodrum, F; Lowen, AC; Lakdawala, S; Alwine, J; Casadevall, A; Imperiale, MJ; Atwood, W; Avgousti, D; Baines, J; Banfield, B; Banks, L; Bhaduri-McIntosh, S; Bhattacharya, D; Blanco-Melo, D; Bloom, D; Boon, A; Boulant, S; Brandt, C; Broadbent, A; Brooke, C; Cameron, C; Campos, S; Caposio, P; Chan, G; Cliffe, A; Coffin, J; Collins, K; Damania, B; Daugherty, M; Debbink, K; DeCaprio, J; Dermody, T; Dikeakos, J; DiMaio, D; Dinglasan, R; Duprex, WP; Dutch, R; Elde, N; Emerman, M; Enquist, L; Fane, B; Fernandez-Sesma, A; Flenniken, M; Frappier, L; Frieman, M; Frueh, K; Gack, M; Gaglia, M; Gallagher, T; Galloway, D; García-Sastre, A; Geballe, A; Glaunsinger, B; Goff, S; Greninger, A; Hancock, M; Harris, E; Heaton, N; Heise, M; Heldwein, E; Hogue, B; Horner, S; Hutchinson, E; Hyser, J; Jackson, W; Kalejta, R; Kamil, J; Karst, S; Kirchhoff, F; Knipe, D; Kowalik, T; Lagunoff, M; Laimins, L; Langlois, R; Lauring, A; Lee, B; Leib, D; Liu, S-L; Longnecker, R; Lopez, C; Luftig, M; Lund, J; Manicassamy, B; McFadden, G; McIntosh, M; Mehle, A; Miller, WA; Mohr, I; Moody, C; Moorman, N; Moscona, A; Mounce, B; Munger, J; Münger, K; Murphy, E; Naghavi, M; Nelson, J; Neufeldt, C; Nikolich, J; O'Connor, C; Ono, A; Orenstein, W; Ornelles, D; Ou, J-H; Parker, J; Parrish, C; Pekosz, A; Pellett, P; Pfeiffer, J; Plemper, R; Polyak, S; Purdy, J; Pyeon, D; Quinones-Mateu, M; Renne, R; Rice, C; Schoggins, J; Roller, R; Russell, C; Sandri-Goldin, R; Sapp, M; Schang, L; Schmid, S; Schultz-Cherry, S; Semler, B; Shenk, T; Silvestri, G; Simon, V; Smith, G; Smith, J; Spindler, K; Stanifer, M; Subbarao, K; Sundquist, W; Suthar, M; Sutton, T; Tai, A; Tarakanova, V; tenOever, B; Tibbetts, S; Tompkins, S; Toth, Z; van Doorslaer, K; Vignuzzi, M; Wallace, N; Walsh, D; Weekes, M; Weinberg, J; Weitzman, M; Weller, S; Whelan, S; White, E; Williams, B; Wobus, C; Wong, S; Yurochko, A, Virology under the Microscope-a Call for Rational Discourse., Msphere, vol 8 no. 2 (2023) [10.1128/msphere.00034-23] [abs].