Nicholas Scott Heaton
Assistant Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Member of the Duke Human Vaccine Institute
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. The University of Chicago, 2012
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- MGM 701: Foundations of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
In the News
- School of Medicine Researchers Honored for Study of the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (May 25, 2021 | School of Medicine)
- Estrogen Receptors in Mom’s Placenta Critical During Viral Infection (Jan 21, 2021)
- Sniffing Out COVID-Related Loss of Smell (Jan 11, 2021 | Duke Health News)
- Scent-Sensing Cells Have a Better Way to Fight Flu (Sep 1, 2020)
- Lung Cell Patches Its Own DNA on the Fly to Survive Influenza (Jul 29, 2019)
- Microbiology Society Recognizes Two Duke Researchers (Sep 6, 2018)
- New Vaccine Production Could Improve Flu Shot Accuracy (Jul 24, 2017)
- Drayman, N; DeMarco, JK; Jones, KA; Azizi, S-A; Froggatt, HM; Tan, K; Maltseva, NI; Chen, S; Nicolaescu, V; Dvorkin, S; Furlong, K; Kathayat, RS; Firpo, MR; Mastrodomenico, V; Bruce, EA; Schmidt, MM; Jedrzejczak, R; Muñoz-Alía, MÁ; Schuster, B; Nair, V; Han, K-Y; O'Brien, A; Tomatsidou, A; Meyer, B; Vignuzzi, M; Missiakas, D; Botten, JW; Brooke, CB; Lee, H; Baker, SC; Mounce, BC; Heaton, NS; Severson, WE; Palmer, KE; Dickinson, BC; Joachimiak, A; Randall, G; Tay, S, Masitinib is a broad coronavirus 3CL inhibitor that blocks replication of SARS-CoV-2., Science (2021) [10.1126/science.abg5827] [abs].
- Froggatt, HM; Harding, AT; Chaparian, RR; Heaton, NS, ETV7 limits antiviral gene expression and control of influenza viruses., Sci Signal, vol 14 no. 691 (2021) [10.1126/scisignal.abe1194] [abs].
- Trimarco, JD; Heaton, BE; Chaparian, RR; Burke, KN; Binder, RA; Gray, GC; Smith, CM; Menachery, VD; Heaton, NS, TMEM41B is a host factor required for the replication of diverse coronaviruses including SARS-CoV-2., Plos Pathog, vol 17 no. 5 (2021) [10.1371/journal.ppat.1009599] [abs].
- Luo, Z; Girton, AW; Heaton, BE; Heaton, NS, Engineered influenza virions reveal the contributions of non-hemagglutinin structural proteins to vaccine mediated protection., J Virol (2021) [10.1128/JVI.02021-20] [abs].
- Harding, AT; Goff, MA; Froggatt, HM; Lim, JK; Heaton, NS, GPER1 is required to protect fetal health from maternal inflammation., Science, vol 371 no. 6526 (2021), pp. 271-276 [10.1126/science.aba9001] [abs].