Loretta Georgina Que
Professor of MedicineMy research interests focus on studying the role of nitric oxide and related enzymes in the pathogenesis of lung disease, specifically that caused by nitrosative/oxidative stress. Proposed studies are performed in cell culture and applied to animal models of disease, then examined in human disease where relevant. It is our hope that by better understanding the role of NO and reactive nitrogen species in mediating inflammation, and regulating cell signaling, that we will not only help to unravel the basic mechanisms of NO related lung disease, but also provide a rationale for targeted therapeutic use of NO.
Key words: nitrosative defense, lung injury, nitric oxide
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Chief, Division of Pulmonary
- Office Location: 279 Msrb1, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-8551
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duke University, 1996
- Yale University, 1992
- M.D. The University of Chicago, 1989
Airway inflammation and airway remodeling
COVID 19 related lung disease
In the News
- The Mystery of Long COVID: Brain Fog, Fatigue, Even Sexual Dysfunction (Mar 9, 2022)
- We Are What We Breathe (Apr 23, 2021 | School of Medicine Magnify)
- Wahidi, MM; Silvestri, GA; Coakley, RD; Ferguson, JS; Shepherd, RW; Moses, L; Conforti, J; Que, LG; Anstrom, KJ; McGuire, F; Colt, H; Downie, GH, A prospective multicenter study of competency metrics and educational interventions in the learning of bronchoscopy among new pulmonary fellows., Chest, vol 137 no. 5 (2010), pp. 1040-1049 [10.1378/chest.09-1234] [abs].
- Que, LG; Yang, Z; Stamler, JS; Lugogo, NL; Kraft, M, S-nitrosoglutathione reductase: an important regulator in human asthma., American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol 180 no. 3 (2009), pp. 226-231 [10.1164/rccm.200901-0158OC] [abs].
- Chudgar, SM; Cox, CE; Que, LG; Andolsek, K; Knudsen, NW; Clay, AS, Current teaching and evaluation methods in critical care medicine: has the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education affected how we practice and teach in the intensive care unit?, Crit Care Med, vol 37 no. 1 (2009), pp. 49-60 [10.1097/CCM.0b013e31819265c8] [abs].
- Lugogo, NL; Ginsburg, GS; Que, LG, Genetic profiling and tailored therapy in asthma: are we there yet?, Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics, vol 9 no. 6 (2007), pp. 528-537 [abs].
- Whalen, EJ; Foster, MW; Matsumoto, A; Ozawa, K; Violin, JD; Que, LG; Nelson, CD; Benhar, M; Keys, JR; Rockman, HA; Koch, WJ; Daaka, Y; Lefkowitz, RJ; Stamler, JS, Regulation of beta-adrenergic receptor signaling by S-nitrosylation of G-protein-coupled receptor kinase 2., Cell, vol 129 no. 3 (2007), pp. 511-522 [10.1016/j.cell.2007.02.046] [abs].
- Clay, AS; Que, L; Petrusa, ER; Sebastian, M; Govert, J, Debriefing in the intensive care unit: a feedback tool to facilitate bedside teaching., Critical Care Medicine, vol 35 no. 3 (2007), pp. 738-754 [10.1097/01.CCM.0000257329.22025.18] [abs].
- Que, LG; Liu, L; Yan, Y; Whitehead, GS; Gavett, SH; Schwartz, DA; Stamler, JS, Protection from experimental asthma by an endogenous bronchodilator., Science, vol 308 no. 5728 (2005), pp. 1618-1621 [10.1126/science.1108228] [abs].
- Liu, L; Yan, Y; Zeng, M; Zhang, J; Hanes, MA; Ahearn, G; McMahon, TJ; Dickfeld, T; Marshall, HE; Que, LG; Stamler, JS, Essential roles of S-nitrosothiols in vascular homeostasis and endotoxic shock., Cell, vol 116 no. 4 (2004), pp. 617-628 [10.1016/s0092-8674(04)00131-x] [abs].
- Yu, Q; Que, LG; Rockey, DC, Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer to nonparenchymal cells in normal and injured liver., American Journal of Physiology Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol 282 no. 3 (2002), pp. G565-G572 [10.1152/ajpgi.00512.2000] [abs].
- Que, LG; George, SE; Gotoh, T; Mori, M; Huang, Y-CT, Effects of arginase isoforms on NO Production by nNOS., Nitric Oxide, vol 6 no. 1 (2002), pp. 1-8 [10.1006/niox.2001.0355] [abs].
- Liu, L; Hausladen, A; Zeng, M; Que, L; Heitman, J; Stamler, JS, A metabolic enzyme for S-nitrosothiol conserved from bacteria to humans., Nature, vol 410 no. 6827 (2001), pp. 490-494 [10.1038/35068596] [abs].
- Liu, L; Hausladen, A; Zeng, M; Que, L; Heitman, J; Stamler, JS; Steverding, D, Nitrosative stress: protection by glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase., Redox Report : Communications in Free Radical Research, vol 6 no. 4 (2001), pp. 209-210 [10.1179/135100001101536337] [abs].
- Que, LG; Tony Huang, YC, Pharmacologic adjuncts during mechanical ventilation., Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol 21 no. 3 (2000), pp. 223-232 [10.1055/s-2000-9848] [abs].
- Lau, CL; Bentley, RC; Gockerman, JP; Que, LG; D'Amico, TA, Malignant melanoma presenting as a mediastinal mass., The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol 67 no. 3 (1999), pp. 851-852 [10.1016/s0003-4975(99)00075-2] [abs].
- Que, LG; Kantrow, SP; Jenkinson, CP; Piantadosi, CA; Huang, YC, Induction of arginase isoforms in the lung during hyperoxia., The American Journal of Physiology, vol 275 no. 1 (1998), pp. L96-102 [10.1152/ajplung.1998.275.1.L96] [abs].
- Que, LG; Kang, BH; Huang, YC; Piantadosi, CA; Chang, LY, Anti-intercellular adhesion molecule-1 antibody and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 gene deficiency do not prevent pulmonary neutrophil recruitment in polymicrobial sepsis., Shock (Augusta, Ga.), vol 9 no. 4 (1998), pp. 304-309 [10.1097/00024382-199804000-00011] [abs].
- Carraway, MS; Welty-Wolf, KE; Kantrow, SP; Huang, YC; Simonson, SG; Que, LG; Kishimoto, TK; Piantadosi, CA, Antibody to E- and L-selectin does not prevent lung injury or mortality in septic baboons., American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol 157 no. 3 Pt 1 (1998), pp. 938-949 [10.1164/ajrccm.157.3.9707129] [abs].