Joseph Andrew Kisslo
Professor of Medicine
After more than two decades there are now 300 original research papers, several textbooks and other materials. Dr. Kisslo has distinguished himself as the first to use phased array ultrasound imaging in the human body and, accordingly, was the first to describe most of the disease for which the technique is now commonplace. He was very early into the applications of Doppler color flow imaging and transesophageal imaging with ultrasound. He has served as an officer or on the Board of a variety of national and international bodies. He was one of the first President's of the American Society of Echocardiography. He reviews in all aspects of cardiac imaging, but principally echocardiography.
Over the past 15 years he has also had a keen interest in medical economics and has served on various professional and governmental boards in describing medical costs and dealing with medical economics. More recently, he has taken interest in adult re-education through remote learning means (telemedicine) and has become the Clinical Director of Telemedicine at Duke. He is Executive Producer of the world's largest telemedicine program (Echo in Context) which has run for the past 14 years. This was the first educational event to circumnavigate the globe live.
He is a frequent scientific and motivational lecturer to scientific organizations and industry. He serves as advisor to several governmental and industrial organizations.
Key words: Echocardiography, cardiac imaging, medical reimbursement, telemedicine, adult re-education.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Office Location: 3348A Hosp South, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-6398
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.D. Drexel University, 1967
- Friedman, DJ; Emerek, K; Kisslo, J; Søgaard, P; Atwater, BD, Left bundle-branch block is associated with asimilar dyssynchronous phenotype in heart failure patients with normal and reduced ejection fractions., American Heart Journal, vol 231 (2021), pp. 45-55 [10.1016/j.ahj.2020.10.053] [abs].
- Atwater, BD; Emerek, K; Samad, Z; Sze, E; Black-Maier, E; Loring, Z; Ugander, M; Liao, L; Kisslo, J; Søgaard, P; Friedman, DJ, Predicting the Development of Reduced Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction in Patients With Left Bundle Branch Block., Am J Cardiol, vol 137 (2020), pp. 39-44 [10.1016/j.amjcard.2020.09.034] [abs].
- Polcwiartek, C; Friedman, DJ; Emerek, K; Graff, C; Sørensen, PL; Kisslo, J; Loring, Z; Hansen, SM; Kragholm, K; Tayal, B; Jensen, SE; Søgaard, P; Torp-Pedersen, C; Atwater, BD, Concomitant changes in ventricular depolarization and repolarization and long-term outcomes of biventricular pacing., Pacing Clin Electrophysiol, vol 43 no. 11 (2020), pp. 1333-1343 [10.1111/pace.14065] [abs].
- Romano, MMD; Moreira, HT; Marin-Neto, JA; Baccelli, PE; Alenezi, F; Klem, I; Maciel, BC; Kisslo, J; Schmidt, A; Velazquez, EJ, Early impairment of myocardial deformation assessed by regional speckle-tracking echocardiography in the indeterminate form of Chagas disease without fibrosis detected by cardiac magnetic resonance., Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol 14 no. 11 (2020) [10.1371/journal.pntd.0008795] [abs].
- Andersen, MS; Moore, C; LeFevre, M; Arges, K; Friedman, DJ; Atwater, BD; Kisslo, J; Søgaard, P; Struijk, JJ; von Ramm, OT; Schmidt, SE, Contractile Fronts In The Interventricular Septum: A Case For High Frame Rate Echocardiographic Imaging., Ultrasound Med Biol, vol 46 no. 9 (2020), pp. 2181-2192 [10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2020.04.028] [abs].