Joseph Steven Fernandez-Moure
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Office Location: DUMC 2837, Durham, NC 27710
- Email Address: email@example.com
- University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, 2019
- Cornell University, Weill Medical College, 2017
- M.S. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2011
- M.D. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Medical School, 2009
- B.A. Middlebury College, 2003
Research InterestsMy work has focus on enhancing the innate capacity of the body to heal acute traumatic wounds through the use of engineered scaffolds, nanomaterials, and drug delivery systems. Using biologically derived materials such as platelet rich plasma (PRP) or amniotic fluid allograft we have studied the innate immune response to these agents and their effect on scaffold incorporation. I have been actively involved in the development of prosthetics related to abdominal wall reconstruction and chest wall injury. Another facet of our work is center on the localized and controlled release of nitric oxide for surgical applications. I have extensive expertise in the handling of tissue-engineered constructs for abdominal wall reconstruction and in the establishment and optimization of large and small animal models for the evaluation of engineered and commercially available prosthetics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow of the Year . National Hispanic Medical Association. 2019
- INVEST-C Research Hackathon Awardee . Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. 2019
- Junior Faculty Award. Surgical Infection Society. 2019
- Second Place Best Basic Science Paper . Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter of ACS. 2018
- Best Scientific Presentation Annual John F. and Carolyn Bookout Symposium. Houston Methodist Hospital. 2017
- National Institutes of Health/National Hispanic Medical Association Scholarship for Academic Development. NIH-NHMA. 2017
- Rice Education in Management for Physician (REMP) Trainee Scholar. Rice University. 2017
- American College of Surgeons Jameson L. Chassin, MD, FACS, Award for Professionalism in General Surgery Finalist. American College of Surgeons. 2016
- Raleigh R. Ross Scholar in Surgery . Texas Surgical Society . 2016
- Resident Teaching Award. Houston Methodist Hospital. 2016
- Chief Resident Teaching Award-Trauma Rotation. Memorial Herman Hospital . 2015
- Second Place Best Podium Presentation . South Texas American College of Surgeons. 2015
- Best Podium Presentation. South Texas American College of Surgeons. 2014
- The Chairs’ Seed Grant Award in Cardiovascular Sciences . Houston Methodist Hospital. 2014
- Best Poster Presentation. International Anesthesia Research Society . 2013
- American Hernia Society Research Resident Award. Americas Hernia Society. 2012
- Methodist Associate Training Academy Travel Award. Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute. 2012
- William and Courtenay Bass Research Resident Scholarship Award. Houston Methodist Hospital. 2011
- National Cancer Institute Cancer Education Program- Summer Research Program. National Cancer Institute- New Jersey Medical School. 2006
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health Research Scholar. Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health . 1998
In the News
- Society Spotlight:The Latino Surgical Society (May 29, 2019 | General Surgery News)
- Lebhar, MS; Anastasio, A; Fernandez-Moure, JS; Shiroff, A, The four columns of the thorax - operative decision making in the setting of complete bony instability., The Annals of Thoracic Surgery (2020) [10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.05.094] [abs].
- Fernandez-Moure, JS; Wes, A; Kaplan, LJ; Fischer, JP, Actionable Risk Model for the Development of Surgical Site Infection after Emergency Surgery., Surgical Infections (2020) [10.1089/sur.2019.282] [abs].
- Usman, AA; Subramanian, M; Raney, C; Weaver, J; Smith, B; Gutsche, J; Vernick, W; Martin, N; Fernandez-Moure, J, Recurrent Use of VV ECMO in Refractory Hypoxemia After Penetrating Lung Injury and Multifocal Pneumonia in a Single Individual's ICU Stay, Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia (2020) [10.1053/j.jvca.2020.05.044] [abs].
- Anastasio, AT; Van Eps, JL; Fernandez-Moure, JS, Surgical technique for development of a clinically-representative ventral hernia repair infection rat model., Methodsx, vol 7 (2020) [10.1016/j.mex.2020.100887] [abs].
- Vella, MA; Warshauer, A; Tortorello, G; Fernandez-Moure, J; Giacolone, J; Chen, B; Cabulong, A; Chreiman, K; Sims, C; Schwab, CW; Reilly, PM; Lane-Fall, M; Seamon, MJ, Long-term Functional, Psychological, Emotional, and Social Outcomes in Survivors of Firearm Injuries., Jama Surg (2019) [10.1001/jamasurg.2019.4533] [abs].