Assistant Professor in NeurologyDr. Cogan's research focuses on speech, language, and cognition. This research uses a variety of analytic techniques (e.g. neural power analysis, connectivity measures, decoding algorithms) and focuses mainly on invasive human recordings (electrocorticography - ECoG) but also uses non-invasive methods such as EEG, MEG, and fMRI. Dr. Cogan is also interested in studying cognitive systems in the context of disease models to help aid recovery and treatment programs.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in Neurology
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Duke South Bl, Box 3807, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-9493
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duke University, 2017
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 2011
- M.Sc. University of Edinburgh (United Kingdom), 2006
- B.A. Queens University, 2004
Human electrophysiology (ECoG, µECoG, EEG, MEG), speech perception, speech production, working memory, sensory-motor integration, neuronal speech representations, language processing, relation between neuroscience and cognition, neuronal networks, neural decoding, epilepsy
In the News
- Researchers take another step closer to mind-reading computer (Mar 31, 2020 | Medical Xpress)
- MEDx connects School of Medicine and Pratt to encourage research collaboration (Oct 4, 2019 | The Chronicle)
- Researchers' discovery of new verbal working memory architecture has implications for AI (Dec 16, 2016 | EurekAlert!)
- Scientists: Speech comes from both sides of the brain, not one (Jan 15, 2014 | CBS News)
- Sun, J; Barth, K; Qiao, S; Chiang, C-H; Wang, C; Rahimpour, S; Trumpis, M; Duraivel, S; Dubey, A; Wingel, KE; Rachinskiy, I; Voinas, AE; Ferrentino, B; Southwell, DG; Haglund, MM; Friedman, AH; Lad, SP; Doyle, WK; Solzbacher, F; Cogan, G; Sinha, SR; Devore, S; Devinsky, O; Friedman, D; Pesaran, B; Viventi, J, Intraoperative microseizure detection using a high-density micro-electrocorticography electrode array., Brain Communications, vol 4 no. 3 (2022) [10.1093/braincomms/fcac122] [abs].
- Chiang, C-H; Wang, C; Barth, K; Rahimpour, S; Trumpis, M; Duraivel, S; Rachinskiy, I; Dubey, A; Wingel, KE; Wong, M; Witham, NS; Odell, T; Woods, V; Bent, B; Doyle, W; Friedman, D; Bihler, E; Reiche, CF; Southwell, DG; Haglund, MM; Friedman, AH; Lad, SP; Devore, S; Devinsky, O; Solzbacher, F; Pesaran, B; Cogan, G; Viventi, J, Flexible, high-resolution thin-film electrodes for human and animal neural research., J Neural Eng, vol 18 no. 4 (2021) [10.1088/1741-2552/ac02dc] [abs].
- Trumpis, M; Chiang, C-H; Orsborn, AL; Bent, B; Li, J; Rogers, JA; Pesaran, B; Cogan, G; Viventi, J, Sufficient sampling for kriging prediction of cortical potential in rat, monkey, and human µECoG., J Neural Eng, vol 18 no. 3 (2021) [10.1088/1741-2552/abd460] [abs].
- Cogan, GB, Translating the brain., Nat Neurosci, vol 23 no. 4 (2020), pp. 471-472 [10.1038/s41593-020-0616-8] [abs].
- Teng, X; Cogan, GB; Poeppel, D, Speech fine structure contains critical temporal cues to support speech segmentation., Neuroimage, vol 202 (2019) [10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.116152] [abs].