William Cleland Distinguished Professor
Geraldine Dawson is the William Cleland Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University, where she also is Professor of Pediatrics and Psychology & Neuroscience. Dawson is the Director of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences whose mission is to promote interdisciplinary brain science and translate discoveries into solutions for health and society. Dawson also is Director of the Duke Center for Autism and Brain Development, an NIH Autism Center of Excellence, which is an interdisciplinary research program and clinic, aimed to improve the lives of those with autism through research, education, clinical services, and policy. Dawson is Associate Director of the Marcus Center for Cellular Cures which aims to discover cellular treatments that can improve outcomes and quality of life for individuals with autism. Dawson received a Ph.D. in Developmental and Child Clinical Psychology from the University of Washington and completed a clinical internship at the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute.
Dawson previously served as President of the International Society for Autism Research and was appointed by the US Secretary of Health as a member of the NIH Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC) which develops the federal strategic plan for autism research, services, and policy. Dawson was Founding Director of the University of Washington (UW) Autism Center and the Duke Center for Autism and Brain Development, Dawson was awarded the American Psychological Association Distinguished Career Award (Div53); Association for Psychological Science Lifetime Achievement Award; Clarivate Top 1% Cited Researcher Across All Scientific Fields; NIH Top Research Advances of the Year Award (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018); Autism Society of America Award for Research Contributions; Autism Society Medical Professional of the Year; and Autism Society Award for Valuable Service. Dawson is a Fellow of the American Psychological Society and American Psychological Association, and is Associate Editor or on editorial boards of four scientific journals.
Appointments and Affiliations
- William Cleland Distinguished Professor
- Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Director of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Professor in Pediatrics
- Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Affiliate, Duke Global Health Institute
- Affiliate of the Center for Child and Family Policy
- Office Location: 2608 Erwin Road, Room 3126, Duke University Med Center, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 668-0070
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of California - Los Angeles, 1980
- Ph.D. University of Washington, 1979
Research InterestsAutism, neuroscience
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Elected. American Academy of Arts and Sciences. 2020
- Distinguished Career Award. American Psychological Association. 2019
- Top 1% Most-Cited Researcher Across All Fields. Clarivate Analytics. 2017
- President. International Society for Autism Research. 2015
- James McKeen Cattell Lifetime Achievement Award. Association for Psychological Science. 2012
- Fellow. Association for Psychological Science. 2006
- Fellow. Association for Psychological Science. 2006
- NEUROSCI 150: Research Practicum
- PSY 203: Practicum
- PSY 394: Research Independent Study
- PSY 494: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Cord Blood Study Provides Insights on Benefits, Limitations for Autism Treatment (May 19, 2020 | Duke Health News)
- Price, Kornbluth and Six Senior Faculty Join American Academy of Arts & Sciences (Apr 23, 2020)
- Brain Science Seed Grants Lay Foundation for Large Competitive Grants (Mar 31, 2020 | Duke Institute for Brain Sciences)
- Harnessing the Power of Machine Learning for Earlier Autism Diagnosis (Dec 9, 2019 | School of Medicine)
- Global List of Highly Cited Puts Duke in Top Ten (Nov 19, 2019)
- Speeding Autism Diagnosis, Improving Outcomes Using Machine Learning (Jul 16, 2019)
- Geri Dawson Named Director of Duke Institute for Brain Sciences (Jun 6, 2019)
- Challenging the Way People Think about ‘Normal’ (Apr 18, 2019)
- Duke Faculty Plentiful On ‘Highly Cited’ List (Nov 27, 2018)
- Mobile App for Autism Screening Yields Useful Data (Jun 1, 2018)
- Duke Launches Marcus Center for Cellular Cures to Tackle Autism, MS, Stroke (May 9, 2018 | Duke School of Medicine)
- Geraldine Dawson Attends Global Autism Event at UN (Apr 9, 2018 | Duke Institute for Brain Sciences)
- Duke Receives $12.5 Million to Study Children With Autism and ADHD (Sep 7, 2017 | Duke Health News)
- New Hope for Autism - Geraldine Dawson (Jun 20, 2016)
- Dr. Geraldine Dawson: Should all babies be screened for autism? (Feb 17, 2016 | TIME)
- Geraldine Dawson comments: The Israeli army unit that recruits teens with autism (Jan 8, 2016 | The Atlantic)
- Duke Launches Autism Research App (Oct 14, 2015)
- Raleigh parents find comfort in Duke care for autistic son (Aug 21, 2015 | WTVD)
- Duke Joins Partnership in NIH-Funded Study of Autism Biomarkers in Children (Jul 20, 2015)
- Geraldine Dawson comments: Guinea pigs are autistic child’s best friend (Jun 30, 2015 | The New York Times)
- Allen Song Named Interim Director of Brain Institute (Jun 26, 2015)
- Music Therapy Program Helps Kids With Autism Socialize (Mar 30, 2015 | Techie News)
- Chasing the Next Autism Breakthrough (Mar 18, 2015 | Duke Magazine)
- Tenenbaum, EJ; Carpenter, KLH; Sabatos-DeVito, M; Hashemi, J; Vermeer, S; Sapiro, G; Dawson, G, A Six-Minute Measure of Vocalizations in Toddlers with Autism Spectrum Disorder., Autism Res, vol 13 no. 8 (2020), pp. 1373-1382 [10.1002/aur.2293] [abs].
- Jones, EJH; Goodwin, A; Orekhova, E; Charman, T; Dawson, G; Webb, SJ; Johnson, MH, Infant EEG theta modulation predicts childhood intelligence., Scientific Reports, vol 10 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41598-020-67687-y] [abs].
- Simhal, AK; Carpenter, KLH; Nadeem, S; Kurtzberg, J; Song, A; Tannenbaum, A; Sapiro, G; Dawson, G, Measuring robustness of brain networks in autism spectrum disorder with Ricci curvature., Scientific Reports, vol 10 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41598-020-67474-9] [abs].
- Volkmar, FR; Dawson, G; Land, R; Lord, C; Loveland, KA; McMahon, W; Minshew, N; Tager-Flusberg, H, Duane F. Alexander, M.D.: August 11, 1940-February 16, 2020., J Autism Dev Disord, vol 50 no. 7 (2020), pp. 2641-2642 [10.1007/s10803-020-04534-z] [abs].
- Dawson, G; Sun, JM; Baker, J; Carpenter, K; Compton, S; Deaver, M; Franz, L; Heilbron, N; Herold, B; Horrigan, J; Howard, J; Kosinski, A; Major, S; Murias, M; Page, K; Prasad, VK; Sabatos-DeVito, M; Sanfilippo, F; Sikich, L; Simmons, R; Song, A; Vermeer, S; Waters-Pick, B; Troy, J; Kurtzberg, J, A Phase II Randomized Clinical Trial of the Safety and Efficacy of Intravenous Umbilical Cord Blood Infusion for Treatment of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder., J Pediatr, vol 222 (2020), pp. 164-173.e5 [10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.03.011] [abs].