Lazlo Ormandy Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Office Location: 375 Med Sci Res Bldg, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-2521
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Borelli Award. American Society of Biomechanics. 2010
- Fellows. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2007
- Marshall R. Urist Award. Orthopaedic Research Society. 2006
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 2005
- Y.C. Fung Young Investigator Award. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2000
- New Investigator Recognition Award Winners. Orthopaedic Research Society. 1994
In the News
- These new painkillers could replace opioids (Jun 1, 2016 | The Daily Beast)
- How Cartilage Cells Sense Forceful Injury (Nov 10, 2014)
- New biomaterial mimics functionality of natural cartilage (Aug 1, 2014 | LiveScience)
- Duke researchers find diet – not just obesity – linked to osteoarthritis in mice (Jul 14, 2014 | The News & Observer)
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids Lessen Severity of Osteoarthritis in Mice (Jul 11, 2014)
- Turn your body into a cartilage factory (Feb 21, 2014 | Wired)
- Gene Therapy Might Grow Replacement Tissue Inside the Body (Feb 19, 2014)
- Duke professor awarded $500K for osteoarthritis research (Jan 23, 2014 | WRAL TechWire)
- Chemical Signaling Simulates Exercise in Cartilage Cells (Jan 14, 2014)
- Duke Engineers Make Strides Toward Artificial Cartilage (Dec 13, 2013)
- Adkar, SS; Brunger, JM; Willard, VP; Wu, C-L; Gersbach, CA; Guilak, F, Genome Engineering for Personalized Arthritis Therapeutics., Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol 23 no. 10 (2017), pp. 917-931 [10.1016/j.molmed.2017.08.002] [abs].
- Furman, BD; Kent, CL; Huebner, JL; Kraus, VB; McNulty, AL; Guilak, F; Olson, SA, CXCL10 is upregulated in synovium and cartilage following articular fracture., Journal of Orthopaedic Research (2017) [10.1002/jor.23735] [abs].
- Wu, C-L; McNeill, J; Goon, K; Little, D; Kimmerling, K; Huebner, J; Kraus, V; Guilak, F, Conditional Macrophage Depletion Increases Inflammation and Does Not Inhibit the Development of Osteoarthritis in Obese Macrophage Fas-Induced Apoptosis-Transgenic Mice., Arthritis and Rheumatology, vol 69 no. 9 (2017), pp. 1772-1783 [10.1002/art.40161] [abs].
- Farhang, N; Brunger, JM; Stover, JD; Thakore, PI; Lawrence, B; Guilak, F; Gersbach, CA; Setton, LA; Bowles, RD, * CRISPR-Based Epigenome Editing of Cytokine Receptors for the Promotion of Cell Survival and Tissue Deposition in Inflammatory Environments., Tissue Engineering, Part A, vol 23 no. 15-16 (2017), pp. 738-749 [10.1089/ten.tea.2016.0441] [abs].
- Bridgen, DT; Fearing, BV; Jing, L; Sanchez-Adams, J; Cohan, MC; Guilak, F; Chen, J; Setton, LA, Regulation of human nucleus pulposus cells by peptide-coupled substrates., Acta Biomaterialia, vol 55 (2017), pp. 100-108 [10.1016/j.actbio.2017.04.019] [abs].