David Brett MacLeod
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
My principal clinical interest is the use of peripheral nerve blocks in primarily orthopedic joint replacement procedures. I am a member of the Regional Division with responsibilities to spine, trauma & plastic surgery.
I was the co-director of the Carolina Cadaver Course, which was run annually in conjunction with Wake Forest University School of Medicine. I have been involved in teaching the use of ultrasound for the placement of peripheral nerve blocks and have lectured on several national courses.
Human Pharmacology & Physiology Lab (HPPL)
I am the Director of the HPPL which is the the Department of Anesthesiology's clinical research lab designed to conduct studies in healthy volunteers. It is designed to collect comprehensive physiological data in a manner similar to the Operating Room (OR), using both non-invasive and invasive techniques. The key areas of interest are:
- Early human clinical drug trials (Phase 1 & 2) of drugs related to anesthesia
- Conduct of clinical equipment validation studies prior to FDA approval
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
- Office Location: 2301 Erwin Road, 5695 Hafs Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6437
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.B.B.S. St. Mary's Hospital Medical School (United Kingdom), 1987
- Cortinez, LI; Somma, J; Robertson, KM; Keifer, JC; Wright, DR; Hsu, Y-W; MacLeod, DB; Moretti, EW, Changes in hematocrit based on incremental blood sampling: mathematical models perform poorly., Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia = Journal Canadien D'Anesthesie, vol 52 no. 4 (2005), pp. 374-378 [10.1007/BF03016279] [abs].
- MacLeod, DB; Cortinez, LI; Keifer, JC; Cameron, D; Wright, DR; White, WD; Moretti, EW; Radulescu, LR; Somma, J, The desaturation response time of finger pulse oximeters during mild hypothermia., Anaesthesia, vol 60 no. 1 (2005), pp. 65-71 [10.1111/j.1365-2044.2004.04033.x] [abs].
- Cortinez, LI; Hsu, Y-W; Sum-Ping, ST; Young, C; Keifer, JC; Macleod, D; Robertson, KM; Wright, DR; Moretti, EW; Somma, J, Dexmedetomidine pharmacodynamics: Part II: Crossover comparison of the analgesic effect of dexmedetomidine and remifentanil in healthy volunteers., Anesthesiology, vol 101 no. 5 (2004), pp. 1077-1083 [10.1097/00000542-200411000-00006] [abs].
- Hsu, Y-W; Cortinez, LI; Robertson, KM; Keifer, JC; Sum-Ping, ST; Moretti, EW; Young, CC; Wright, DR; Macleod, DB; Somma, J, Dexmedetomidine pharmacodynamics: part I: crossover comparison of the respiratory effects of dexmedetomidine and remifentanil in healthy volunteers., Anesthesiology, vol 101 no. 5 (2004), pp. 1066-1076 [10.1097/00000542-200411000-00005] [abs].
- Martin, G; Lineberger, CK; MacLeod, DB; El-Moalem, HE; Breslin, DS; Hardman, D; D'Ercole, F, A new teaching model for resident training in regional anesthesia., Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol 95 no. 5 (2002), pp. 1423-1427 [10.1097/00000539-200211000-00059] [abs].