Assistant Professor of Emergency MedicineDr. Buckland is an Attending Physician at Duke University Hospital Emergency Department. He is also the Director of the Duke Acute Care Technology Lab (DACTL) where he leads research in developing technology for the diagnosis and treatment of acute disease in data science and robotics projects. Dr Buckland oversees several PhD, Masters, and Undergraduate engineer researchers as their primary advisor, as well as manages collaborative research projects between clinicians and engineering students. His work at DACTL also involves studying how advancements in technology affect the healthcare system. In addition, Dr. Buckland is the Deputy Chair of the Human System Risk Board of the Office of the Chief Health and Medical Officer via an Intergovernmental Personnel Act agreement with NASA, where he determines the human system risk of spaceflight and how standards, countermeasures, and mission design can mitigate risk.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
- Office Location: 2301 Erwin Road, DUMC Box 3096, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 660-6553
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.D. Harvard Medical School, 2014
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Algorithm Improves Accuracy of Scheduling Surgeries (Jun 27, 2023 | Duke Health News)
- Algorithm Improves Accuracy of Scheduling Surgeries (Jun 26, 2023 | Duke Health)
- Let’s Talk About All Things Space Duke Space Initiative (Apr 1, 2022 | DukEngineer Magazine)
- Space: The Next Frontier for Health Care (Aug 12, 2021 | School of Medicine Magnify)
- Pratt Robot May Blast Off With Astronauts to Assist With Health Care (Jun 29, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Zaribafzadeh, H; Webster, WL; Vail, CJ; Daigle, T; Kirk, AD; Allen, PJ; Henao, R; Buckland, DM, Development, Deployment, and Implementation of a Machine Learning Surgical Case Length Prediction Model and Prospective Evaluation., Ann Surg, vol 278 no. 6 (2023), pp. 890-895 [10.1097/SLA.0000000000005936] [abs].
- Manon, J; Saint-Guillain, M; Pletser, V; Buckland, DM; Vico, L; Dobney, W; Baatout, S; Wain, C; Jacobs, J; Comein, A; Drouet, S; Meert, J; Casla, IS; Chamart, C; Vanderdonckt, J; Cartiaux, O; Cornu, O, Adequacy of in-mission training to treat tibial shaft fractures in mars analogue testing., Scientific Reports, vol 13 no. 1 (2023) [10.1038/s41598-023-43878-1] [abs].
- Li, S; Ning, Y; Ong, MEH; Chakraborty, B; Hong, C; Xie, F; Yuan, H; Liu, M; Buckland, DM; Chen, Y; Liu, N, FedScore: A privacy-preserving framework for federated scoring system development., J Biomed Inform, vol 146 (2023) [10.1016/j.jbi.2023.104485] [abs].
- Antonsen, EL; Connell, E; Anton, W; Reynolds, RJ; Buckland, DM; Van Baalen, M, Updates to the NASA human system risk management process for space exploration., Npj Microgravity, vol 9 no. 1 (2023) [10.1038/s41526-023-00305-z] [abs].
- Cox, DJ; Ye, JJ; Zhang, C; Van Vleet, L; Nickenig Vissoci, JR; Buckland, DM, Optimizing a Drone Network to Respond to Opioid Overdoses., West J Emerg Med, vol 24 no. 5 (2023), pp. 823-830 [10.5811/westjem.59609] [abs].