Christina Eleanor Barkauskas
Assistant Professor of Medicine
I am a physician-scientist and stem cell biologist focused on understanding the fundamental mechanisms involved in lung injury and repair. I am particularly interested in determining the critical components of the alveolar epithelial stem cell niche and the cellular crosstalk signals that dictate cell identity and behavior during steady state maintenance and repair after injury and infection. I believe this work is fundamental to better understanding the biology of the human lung and the pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), a disease that is characterized by relentless scar accumulation in the lung with only minimally effective therapy short of lung transplant.
Through my work, I have developed several areas of expertise which include the following: 1) Development and use of mouse models to genetically manipulate and lineage trace specific cell populations; 2) Isolation and characterization of murine lung cell subpopulations by flow cytometry; 3) Development and use of an ex vivo 3-dimensional organoid assay to study the self-renewal and differentiation of murine alveolar epithelial stem cells and their niche components; 4) Isolation and 3-dimensional culture of alveolar epithelial cells from fresh human lung; 5) Development and analysis of models of experimental lung fibrosis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Dept of Medicine, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6845
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Duke University School of Medicine, 2012
- Duke University School of Medicine, 2011
- Duke University School of Medicine, 2009
- Duke University, 2008
- Duke University, 2007
- M.D. Duke University School of Medicine, 2004
- Murray, DD; Babiker, AG; Baker, JV; Barkauskas, CE; Brown, SM; Chang, C; Davey, VJ; Gelijns, AC; Ginde, AA; Grund, B; Higgs, E; Hudson, F; Kan, VL; Lane, HC; Murray, TA; Paredes, R; Parmar, MKB; Pett, S; Phillips, AN; Polizzotto, MN; Reilly, C; Sandkovsky, U; Sharma, S; Teitelbaum, M; Thompson, BT; Young, BE; Neaton, JD; Lundgren, JD, Design and implementation of the multi-arm, multi-stage Therapeutics for Inpatients with COVID-19 (TICO) platform master protocol: An Accelerating COVID-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines (ACTIV) initiative., Medrxiv (2020) [10.1101/2020.11.08.20227876] [abs].
- Wagner, JG; Barkauskas, CE; Vose, A; Lewandowski, RP; Harkema, JR; Tighe, RM, Repetitive Ozone Exposures and Evaluation of Pulmonary Inflammation and Remodeling in Diabetic Mouse Strains., Environ Health Perspect, vol 128 no. 11 (2020) [10.1289/EHP7255] [abs].
- Barkauskas, CE, A Specialized Few Among Many: Identification of a Novel Lung Epithelial Stem Cell Population., Cell Stem Cell, vol 26 no. 3 (2020), pp. 295-296 [10.1016/j.stem.2020.02.010] [abs].
- Soliman, H; Paylor, B; Scott, RW; Lemos, DR; Chang, C; Arostegui, M; Low, M; Lee, C; Fiore, D; Braghetta, P; Pospichalova, V; Barkauskas, CE; Korinek, V; Rampazzo, A; MacLeod, K; Underhill, TM; Rossi, FMV, Pathogenic Potential of Hic1-Expressing Cardiac Stromal Progenitors., Cell Stem Cell, vol 26 no. 3 (2020), pp. 459-461 [10.1016/j.stem.2020.01.023] [abs].
- Soliman, H; Paylor, B; Scott, RW; Lemos, DR; Chang, C; Arostegui, M; Low, M; Lee, C; Fiore, D; Braghetta, P; Pospichalova, V; Barkauskas, CE; Korinek, V; Rampazzo, A; MacLeod, K; Underhill, TM; Rossi, FMV, Pathogenic Potential of Hic1-Expressing Cardiac Stromal Progenitors., Cell Stem Cell, vol 26 no. 2 (2020), pp. 205-220.e8 [10.1016/j.stem.2019.12.008] [abs].