Brant Allen Inman
Cary N. Robertson, MD, Associate ProfessorClinical research interests:
Clinical trials of novel diagnostic tests and therapies for genitourinary malignancies, with a strong focus on bladder cancer.
Basic science research interests:
Immune therapies for cancer, hyperthermia and heat-based treatment of cancer, molecular biology of genitourinary cancers, novel diagnostics and therapies for genitourinary cancers
Appointments and Affiliations
- Cary N. Robertson, MD, Associate Professor
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 3007 Snyderman Bldg, 905 La Salle Street, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1322
- Mayo Clinic, 2008
- Universite Laval (Canada), 2005
- M.S. Mayo Clinic, Alix School of Medicine, 2011
- M.D. University of Alberta (Canada), 2000
- B.S. University of Alberta (Canada), 1999
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Reviewer of the month. European Urology. 2016
- Leadership program. American Urological Association. 2016
- Platinum Scalpel Award for Excellence in Teaching. Division of Urology, Duke University. 2015
- International exchange scholar. European Association of Urology and American Urological Association. 2014
- Best Clinical Paper of 2014. International Journal of Hyperthermia. 2014
- Honorary Judge, Ferdinand C. Valentine Contest . New York Academy of Medicine. 2013
- Best reviewer, prostate cancer. Journal of Urology. 2008
- Best of posters, bladder cancer, basic science. American Urological Association. 2007
- Merit award. ASCO Foundation. 2007
- Merit award. ASCO Prostate Cancer Symposium . 2007
- Merit award. ASCO Prostate Cancer Symposium . 2006
- Clinical prize essay. Canadian Urologic Association . 2005
- Gerald P. Murphy Scholar . American Urological Association. 2004
- Clinical prize essay. Quebec Urologic Association . 2003
- Basic science prize essay. Quebec Urologic Association . 2002
- Clinical prize essay. Quebec Urologic Association . 2001
- Letter of exceptional proficiency, general surgery. University of Calgary. 2001
- Letter of exceptional proficiency, internal medicine. University of Calgary. 2001
- Dr. Morris Weinlos Prize in Pathology & Surgery . University of Alberta. 2000
- MRC Burroughs Wellcome Research Studentship . University of Alberta. 1996
- Student Bursary. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta . 1996
- Research Studentship. Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research . 1995
- Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship . Government of Alberta (Canada). 1994
- Alexander Rutherford Post-Secondary Scholarship . Government of Alberta (Canada). 1993
- Bronze medal for academic achievement. Governor General of Canada. 1993
In the News
- Scientists study whether hyperthermia treatment makes chemo more effective (Dec 15, 2015 | The Wall Street Journal)
- Inman, BA; Stauffer, PR; Craciunescu, OA; Maccarini, PF; Dewhirst, MW; Vujaskovic, Z, A pilot clinical trial of intravesical mitomycin-C and external deep pelvic hyperthermia for non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer., Int J Hyperthermia, vol 30 no. 3 (2014), pp. 171-175 [10.3109/02656736.2014.882021] [abs].
- Sousa, A; Inman, BA; Piñeiro, I; Monserrat, V; Pérez, A; Aparici, V; Gómez, I; Neira, P; Uribarri, C, A clinical trial of neoadjuvant hyperthermic intravesical chemotherapy (HIVEC) for treating intermediate and high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer., Int J Hyperthermia, vol 30 no. 3 (2014), pp. 166-170 [10.3109/02656736.2014.900194] [abs].
- Abern, MR; Owusu, RA; Anderson, MR; Rampersaud, EN; Inman, BA, Perioperative intravesical chemotherapy in non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis., J Natl Compr Canc Netw, vol 11 no. 4 (2013), pp. 477-484 [10.6004/jnccn.2013.0060] [abs].
- Frigola, X; Inman, BA; Krco, CJ; Liu, X; Harrington, SM; Bulur, PA; Dietz, AB; Dong, H; Kwon, ED, Soluble B7-H1: differences in production between dendritic cells and T cells., Immunol Lett, vol 142 no. 1-2 (2012), pp. 78-82 [10.1016/j.imlet.2011.11.001] [abs].
- Frigola, X; Inman, BA; Lohse, CM; Krco, CJ; Cheville, JC; Thompson, RH; Leibovich, B; Blute, ML; Dong, H; Kwon, ED, Identification of a soluble form of B7-H1 that retains immunosuppressive activity and is associated with aggressive renal cell carcinoma., Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol 17 no. 7 (2011), pp. 1915-1923 [10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-0250] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Davies, JD; Rangel, LJ; Bergstralh, EJ; Kwon, ED; Blute, ML; Karnes, RJ; Leibovich, BC, Long-term outcomes of radical prostatectomy with multimodal adjuvant therapy in men with a preoperative serum prostate-specific antigen level > or =50 ng/mL., Cancer, vol 113 no. 7 (2008), pp. 1544-1551 [10.1002/cncr.23767] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Myers, RP, Is the location of a positive surgical margin after radical prostatectomy important for prognosis?, Nat Clin Pract Urol, vol 5 no. 9 (2008), pp. 476-477 [10.1038/ncpuro1151] [abs].
- Routh, JC; Inman, BA; Ashley, RA; Vandersteen, DR; Reinberg, Y; Wolpert, JJ; Kramer, SA; Husmann, DA, Unilateral vesicoureteral reflux: does endoscopic injection based on the cystoscopic appearance of the ureteral orifice decrease the incidence of de-novo contralateral reflux?, J Pediatr Urol, vol 4 no. 4 (2008), pp. 260-264 [10.1016/j.jpurol.2007.12.008] [abs].
- Roth, TJ; Vandersteen, DR; Hollatz, P; Inman, BA; Reinberg, YE, Sacral neuromodulation for the dysfunctional elimination syndrome: a single center experience with 20 children., The Journal of Urology, vol 180 no. 1 (2008), pp. 306-311 [10.1016/j.juro.2008.03.033] [abs].
- Ashley, RA; Inman, BA; Routh, JC; Mynderse, LA; Gettman, MT; Blute, ML, Reassessing the diagnostic yield of saturation biopsy of the prostate., European Urology, vol 53 no. 5 (2008), pp. 976-981 [10.1016/j.eururo.2007.10.049] [abs].
- Siddiqui, SA; Boorjian, SA; Inman, B; Bagniewski, S; Bergstralh, EJ; Blute, ML, Timing of androgen deprivation therapy and its impact on survival after radical prostatectomy: a matched cohort study., The Journal of Urology, vol 179 no. 5 (2008), pp. 1830-1837 [10.1016/j.juro.2008.01.022] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Frigola, X; Harris, KJ; Kuntz, SM; Lohse, CM; Leibovich, BC; Kwon, ED, Questionable relevance of gamma delta T lymphocytes in renal cell carcinoma., The Journal of Immunology, vol 180 no. 5 (2008), pp. 3578-3584 [10.4049/jimmunol.180.5.3578] [abs].
- Routh, JC; Kramer, SA; Inman, BA; Ashley, RA; Wolpert, JJ; Vandersteen, DR; Husmann, DA; Reinberg, Y, Utility of dextranomer/hyaluronic acid injection in setting of bladder and ureteral anomalies., Urology, vol 71 no. 3 (2008), pp. 435-438 [10.1016/j.urology.2007.10.043] [abs].
- Routh, JC; Inman, BA; Reinberg, Y, Re: Endoscopic treatment of vesicoureteral reflux associated with paraureteral diverticula in children. W. H. Cerwinka, H. C. Scherz and A. J. Kirsch. J Urol 2007; 178: 1469-1473., The Journal of Urology, vol 179 no. 3 (2008) [10.1016/j.juro.2007.10.098] [abs].
- Magera, JS; Inman, BA; Slezak, JM; Bagniewski, SM; Sebo, TJ; Myers, RP, Increased optical magnification from 2.5x to 4.3x with technical modification lowers the positive margin rate in open radical retropubic prostatectomy., The Journal of Urology, vol 179 no. 1 (2008), pp. 130-135 [10.1016/j.juro.2007.08.128] [abs].
- Sengupta, S; Blute, ML; Bagniewski, SM; Inman, B; Leibovich, BC; Slezak, JM; Myers, RP; Zincke, H, After radical retropubic prostatectomy 'insignificant' prostate cancer has a risk of progression similar to low-risk 'significant' cancer., Bju Int, vol 101 no. 2 (2008), pp. 170-174 [10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.07270.x] [abs].
- Boorjian, SA; Frank, I; Inman, B; Lohse, CM; Cheville, JC; Leibovich, BC; Blute, ML, The role of partial nephrectomy for the management of sporadic renal angiomyolipoma., Urology, vol 70 no. 6 (2007), pp. 1064-1068 [10.1016/j.urology.2007.07.045] [abs].
- Ashley, RA; Inman, BA; Routh, JC; Krambeck, AE; Siddiqui, SA; Mynderse, LA; Gettman, MT; Blute, ML, Preventing pain during office biopsy of the prostate: a single center, prospective, double-blind, 3-arm, parallel group, randomized clinical trial., Cancer, vol 110 no. 8 (2007), pp. 1708-1714 [10.1002/cncr.22973] [abs].
- Magera, JS; Inman, BA; Elliott, DS, Does preoperative topical antimicrobial scrub reduce positive surgical site culture rates in men undergoing artificial urinary sphincter placement?, The Journal of Urology, vol 178 no. 4 Pt 1 (2007), pp. 1328-1332 [10.1016/j.juro.2007.05.146] [abs].
- Routh, JC; Reinberg, Y; Ashley, RA; Inman, BA; Wolpert, JJ; Vandersteen, DR; Husmann, DA; Kramer, SA, Multivariate comparison of the efficacy of intraureteral versus subtrigonal techniques of dextranomer/hyaluronic acid injection., The Journal of Urology, vol 178 no. 4 Pt 2 (2007), pp. 1702-1705 [10.1016/j.juro.2007.03.174] [abs].
- Ashley, RA; Inman, BA; Routh, JC; Rohlinger, AL; Husmann, DA; Kramer, SA, Urachal anomalies: a longitudinal study of urachal remnants in children and adults., The Journal of Urology, vol 178 no. 4 Pt 2 (2007), pp. 1615-1618 [10.1016/j.juro.2007.03.194] [abs].
- Webster, WS; Thompson, RH; Harris, KJ; Frigola, X; Kuntz, S; Inman, BA; Dong, H, Targeting molecular and cellular inhibitory mechanisms for improvement of antitumor memory responses reactivated by tumor cell vaccine., The Journal of Immunology, vol 179 no. 5 (2007), pp. 2860-2869 [10.4049/jimmunol.179.5.2860] [abs].
- Roth, TJ; Sheinin, Y; Lohse, CM; Kuntz, SM; Frigola, X; Inman, BA; Krambeck, AE; McKenney, ME; Karnes, RJ; Blute, ML; Cheville, JC; Sebo, TJ; Kwon, ED, B7-H3 ligand expression by prostate cancer: a novel marker of prognosis and potential target for therapy., Cancer Research, vol 67 no. 16 (2007), pp. 7893-7900 [10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-1068] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Sebo, TJ; Frigola, X; Dong, H; Bergstralh, EJ; Frank, I; Fradet, Y; Lacombe, L; Kwon, ED, PD-L1 (B7-H1) expression by urothelial carcinoma of the bladder and BCG-induced granulomata: associations with localized stage progression., Cancer, vol 109 no. 8 (2007), pp. 1499-1505 [10.1002/cncr.22588] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Frigola, X; Dong, H; Kwon, ED, Costimulation, coinhibition and cancer., Curr Cancer Drug Targets, vol 7 no. 1 (2007), pp. 15-30 [10.2174/156800907780006878] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Myers, RP, Re: Saturation technique does not improve cancer detection as an initial prostate biopsy strategy. J. S. Jones, A. Patel, L. Schoenfield, J. C. Rabets, C. D. Zippe and C. Magi-Galluzzi. J Urol, 175: 485-488, 2006., The Journal of Urology, vol 176 no. 3 (2006), pp. 1252-1253 [10.1016/j.juro.2006.04.056] [abs].
- Inman, BA; DiMarco, DS; Slezak, JM; Sebo, TJ; Kwon, ED; Leibovich, BC; Blute, ML; Zincke, H, Outcomes of Gleason score 10 prostate carcinoma treated by radical prostatectomy., Urology, vol 68 no. 3 (2006), pp. 604-608 [10.1016/j.urology.2006.03.041] [abs].
- Ashley, RA; Inman, BA; Sebo, TJ; Leibovich, BC; Blute, ML; Kwon, ED; Zincke, H, Urachal carcinoma: clinicopathologic features and long-term outcomes of an aggressive malignancy., Cancer, vol 107 no. 4 (2006), pp. 712-720 [10.1002/cncr.22060] [abs].
- Siddiqui, SA; Inman, BA; Sengupta, S; Slezak, JM; Bergstralh, EJ; Leibovich, BC; Zincke, H; Blute, ML, Obesity and survival after radical prostatectomy: A 10-year prospective cohort study., Cancer, vol 107 no. 3 (2006), pp. 521-529 [10.1002/cncr.22030] [abs].
- Inman, BA, Re: Has a 3-fold decreased dose of bacillus Calmette-Guerin the same efficacy against recurrences and progression of T1G3 and Tis bladder tumors than the standard dose? Results of a prospective randomized trial., The Journal of Urology, vol 175 no. 5 (2006) [10.1016/S0022-5347(05)00970-5] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Harel, F; Audet, J-F; Meyer, F; Douville, P; Fradet, Y; Lacombe, L, Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2: an androgen-dependent predictor of prostate cancer survival., European Urology, vol 47 no. 5 (2005), pp. 695-702 [10.1016/j.eururo.2004.12.015] [abs].
- Inman, BA; Harel, F; Tiguert, R; Lacombe, L; Fradet, Y, Routine nasogastric tubes are not required following cystectomy with urinary diversion: a comparative analysis of 430 patients., The Journal of Urology, vol 170 no. 5 (2003), pp. 1888-1891 [10.1097/01.ju.0000092500.68655.48] [abs].
- Inman, B; Halloran, B; Melk, A; Ramassar, V; Halloran, PF, Microchimerism in sensitized renal patients., Transplantation, vol 67 no. 10 (1999), pp. 1381-1383 [10.1097/00007890-199905270-00018] [abs].