Stuart Alan Grant
Professor of Anesthesiology
Our regional anesthesia group have particular interest in resident education and ultrasound guided nerve block. We also have an interest in the use of continuous peripheral catheter systems and liposomal drug delivery systems for prolonged post operative analgesia. We also investigate the effects of regional anesthesia on patient outcomes.
My ambulatory anesthesia research interests include post operative recovery with particular reference to fitness to drive and the use of regional anesthetic techniques in day surgery. I also have an interest in total intravenous anesthesia and target controlled infusion drug delivery systems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Anesthesiology
- Office Location: 2301 Erwin Road, 5691A Hafs Building, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6437
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Victoria Infirmary, 1998
- M.B.B.Ch. University of Glasgow (Scotland), 1989
- ANESTH 220C: CLINICAL ANESTHESIOLOGY
- Macleod, DB; Grant, SA; Martin, G; Breslin, DS, Identification of coracoid process for infraclavicular blocks., Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol 28 no. 5 (2003) [abs].
- Martin, G; Grant, SA; Macleod, DB; Breslin, DS; Brewer, RP, Severe phantom leg pain in an amputee after lumbar plexus block., Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol 28 no. 5 (2003), pp. 475-478 [abs].
- Grant, SA; Breslin, DS; MacLeod, DB; Demeyts, D; Martin, G; D'Ercole, F; Hardman, D, Variability in determination of point of needle insertion in peripheral nerve blocks: a comparison of experienced and inexperienced anaesthetists., Anaesthesia, vol 58 no. 7 (2003), pp. 688-692 [abs].
- MacLeod, D; Grant, S; Breslin, D; Martin, G, Lower limb blocks following general anaesthesia., Anaesthesia, vol 58 no. 6 (2003), pp. 612-613 [abs].
- Breslin, DS; Martin, G; Macleod, DB; D'ercole, F; Grant, SA, Central nervous system toxicity following the administration of levobupivacaine for lumbar plexus block: A report of two cases., Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol 28 no. 2 (2003), pp. 144-147 [10.1053/rapm.2003.50127] [abs].
- Grant, SA; Nielsen, KC; Greengrass, RA; Steele, SM; Klein, SM, Continuous peripheral nerve block for ambulatory surgery., Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol 26 no. 3 (2001), pp. 209-214 [10.1053/rapm.2001.22256] [abs].
- Klein, SM; Greengrass, RA; Grant, SA; Higgins, LD; Nielsen, KC; Steele, SM, Ambulatory surgery for multi-ligament knee reconstruction with continuous dual catheter peripheral nerve blockade., Canadian Journal of Anesthesia / Journal canadien d'anesthésie, vol 48 no. 4 (2001), pp. 375-378 [abs].
- Klein, SM; Grant, SA; Greengrass, RA; Nielsen, KC; Speer, KP; White, W; Warner, DS; Steele, SM, Interscalene brachial plexus block with a continuous catheter insertion system and a disposable infusion pump., Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol 91 no. 6 (2000), pp. 1473-1478 [10.1097/00000539-200012000-00033] [abs].
- Grant, SA; Millar, K; Kenny, GN, Blood alcohol concentration and psychomotor effects., BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol 85 no. 3 (2000), pp. 401-406 [abs].
- Grant, SA; Murdoch, J; Millar, K; Kenny, GN, Blood propofol concentration and psychomotor effects on driving skills., BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol 85 no. 3 (2000), pp. 396-400 [abs].
- Murdoch, JA; Grant, SA; Kenny, GN, Safety of patient-maintained propofol sedation using a target-controlled system in healthy volunteers., BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol 85 no. 2 (2000), pp. 299-301 [abs].
- Woods, AW; Grant, S, Remifentanil and intubating conditions., Anaesthesia, vol 55 no. 5 (2000), pp. 516-518 [abs].
- Grant, S; Noble, S; Woods, A; Murdoch, J; Davidson, A, Assessment of intubating conditions in adults after induction with propofol and varying doses of remifentanil., BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol 81 no. 4 (1998), pp. 540-543 [abs].