Robert A. Malkin
Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Professor Malkin is interested in medical instrumentation in the developing world.
Dr. Malkin is also the founder of Engineering World Health and the Global Public Service Academies. These unique study abroad programs allow undergraduates (EWH) and high school students (GPSA) to study and work in developing world healthcare settings. Dr. Malkin also conducts research and development focused on medical equipment in the developing world.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of the Practice of Global Health
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 201 North Building, Research Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5131
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1993
- M.S. Duke University, 1990
- B.S. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1984
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Save The Children. GSK Foundation. 2016
- Engineering Hero. IEEE Spectrum. 2015
- Imhoff Distinguished Teaching Award. Pratt School of Engineering. 2010
- BME 195FS: Medical Instrumentation in the Developing World (GE)
- BME 354L: Introduction to Medical Instrumentation
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 462L: Design for the Developing World (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- SCISOC 195FS: Medical Instrumentation in the Developing World (GE)
- Dahinten, AP; Dow, DE; Cunningham, CK; Msuya, LJ; Mmbaga, BT; Malkin, RA, Providing Safe and Effective Preventative Antiretroviral Prophylaxis to HIV-exposed Newborns via a Novel Drug Delivery System in Tanzania., Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol 35 no. 9 (2016), pp. 987-991 [10.1097/inf.0000000000001224] [abs].
- Dahinten, AP; Malkin, RA, The Pratt Pouch Provides a Three-Fold Access Increase to Antiretroviral Medication for Births outside Health Facilities in Southern Zambia., Open Biomedical Engineering Journal, vol 10 (2016), pp. 12-18 [10.2174/1874120701610010012] [abs].
- Choy, A; Ortiz, M; Malkin, R, Accurate Dosing of Antiretrovirals at Home Using a Foilized, Polyethylene Pouch to Prevent the Transmission of HIV From Mother to Child., Medicine, vol 94 no. 25 (2015) [10.1097/md.0000000000001030] [abs].
- Emmerling, DA; Sridhara, R; Malkin, RA, An open-source BMET library: Results on access and value, IET Conference Publications, vol 2014 no. CP632 (2014) [abs].
- Malkin, RA; Whittle, C, Biomedical Equipment Technician Capacity Building Using a Unique Evidence-Based Curriculum Improves Healthcare, Journal of Clinical Engineering, vol 39 no. 1 (2014), pp. 37-44 [10.1097/JCE.0000000000000008] [abs].