Professor in the Department of Mechanical Enginnering and Materials Science
My research focuses on four broad and interconnected areas in the emerging field of therapeutic ultrasound, which is located at the interface of engineering, biology and clinical medicine. Current research interests in my group include:
- Ultrasound-targeted gene delivery and activation
- Synergistic combination of high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) and immunotherapy for cancer treatment
- Innovations in shock wave lithotripsy (SWL) technology
- Mechanics and bioeffects of acoustic cavitation.
We are taking an integrated and translational approach that combines fundamental research with engineering and applied technology development to devise novel and enabling ultrasonic techniques for a variety of clinical applications. Our fundamental research focuses on achieving a mechanistic understanding of the stress response of biological cells and tissues induced by ultrasound exposure. Based on this knowledge, we develop better instrumentation and treatment strategies for ultrasound-targeted gene delivery and activation in internal organs, for improving the overall efficacy of HIFU therapy for breast and prostate cancers, and for SWL treatment of renal calculi. A long-standing research effort in my laboratory is to understand the dynamics and biological consequences of the interaction of optically or acoustically generated cavitation bubble(s) with shock waves near a boundary or in constrained media. We employ a diverse range of experimental techniques including high-speed Schlieren and photoelastic imaging, pressure measurement via fiber optical probe hydrophone, as well as cell, phantom and animal models. Our research activities are primarily supported by NIH and through collaborations with the medical device industry.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Enginnering and Materials Science
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: 1103 Engineering Annex, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5336
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University Texas Arlington, 1992
- M.Sc. University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Southwestern Medical School, 1988
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2011
- MERIT Award. National Institutes of Health. 2010
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 336L: Fluid Mechanics
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
In the News
- A Safer Route to Ultrasonic Therapy (Jan 2, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Capturing at High Speed the Cellular Impacts of Bubbles and Jets (Dec 8, 2015)
- New method boon for kidney stone treatment (Mar 19, 2014 | Business Standard )
- New Lens Design Drastically Improves Kidney Stone Treatment (Mar 18, 2014)
- Neisius, A; Smith, NB; Sankin, G; Kuntz, NJ; Madden, JF; Fovargue, DE; Mitran, S; Lipkin, ME; Simmons, WN; Preminger, GM; Zhong, P, Improving the lens design and performance of a contemporary electromagnetic shock wave lithotripter., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 111 no. 13 (2014), pp. E1167-E1175 [10.1073/pnas.1319203111] [abs].
- Smith, NB; Zhong, P, A heuristic model of stone comminution in shock wave lithotripsy., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 134 no. 2 (2013), pp. 1548-1558 [10.1121/1.4812876] [abs].
- Lautz, J; Sankin, G; Zhong, P, Turbulent water coupling in shock wave lithotripsy., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 58 no. 3 (2013), pp. 735-748 [10.1088/0031-9155/58/3/735] [abs].
- Hsiao, C-T; Choi, J-K; Singh, S; Chahine, GL; Hay, TA; Ilinskii, YA; Zabolotskaya, EA; Hamilton, MF; Sankin, G; Yuan, F; Zhong, P, Modelling single- and tandem-bubble dynamics between two parallel plates for biomedical applications, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 716 (2013), pp. 137-170 [10.1017/jfm.2012.526] [abs].
- Smith, N; Zhong, P, Stone comminution correlates with the average peak pressure incident on a stone during shock wave lithotripsy., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 45 no. 15 (2012), pp. 2520-2525 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2012.07.025] [abs].
- Sankin, GN; Piech, D; Zhong, P, Stereoscopic high-speed imaging using additive colors., Review of Scientific Instruments, vol 83 no. 4 (2012) [10.1063/1.3697747] [abs].
- Huang, X; Yuan, F; Liang, M; Lo, H-W; Shinohara, ML; Robertson, C; Zhong, P, M-HIFU inhibits tumor growth, suppresses STAT3 activity and enhances tumor specific immunity in a transplant tumor model of prostate cancer., PloS one, vol 7 no. 7 (2012) [10.1371/journal.pone.0041632] [abs].
- Yuan, F; Sankin, G; Zhong, P, Dynamics of tandem bubble interaction in a microfluidic channel., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 130 no. 5 (2011), pp. 3339-3346 [10.1121/1.3626134] [abs].
- Lautz, J; Sankin, G; Yuan, F; Zhong, P, Displacement of particles in microfluidics by laser-generated tandem bubbles., Applied Physics Letters, vol 97 no. 18 (2010) [10.1063/1.3511538] [abs].
- Sankin, GN; Yuan, F; Zhong, P, Pulsating tandem microbubble for localized and directional single-cell membrane poration., Physical Review Letters, vol 105 no. 7 (2010) [10.1103/PhysRevLett.105.078101] [abs].
- Qin, J; Simmons, WN; Sankin, G; Zhong, P, Effect of lithotripter focal width on stone comminution in shock wave lithotripsy., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 127 no. 4 (2010), pp. 2635-2645 [10.1121/1.3308409] [abs].
- Hu, Z; Yang, XY; Liu, Y; Sankin, GN; Pua, EC; Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK; Clay, TM; Zhong, P, Investigation of HIFU-induced anti-tumor immunity in a murine tumor model., Journal of Translational Medicine, vol 5 (2007) [10.1186/1479-5876-5-34] [abs].
- Iloreta, JI; Zhou, Y; Sankin, GN; Zhong, P; Szeri, AJ, Assessment of shock wave lithotripters via cavitation potential., Physics of Fluids, vol 19 no. 8 (2007) [10.1063/1.2760279] [abs].
- Klaseboer, E; Fong, SW; Turangan, CK; Khoo, BC; Szeri, AJ; Calvisi, ML; Sankin, GN; Zhong, P, Interaction of lithotripter shockwaves with single inertial cavitation bubbles., Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 593 (2007), pp. 33-56 [10.1017/S002211200700852X] [abs].
- Liu, Y; Kon, T; Li, C; Zhong, P, High intensity focused ultrasound-induced gene activation in solid tumors., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 120 no. 1 (2006), pp. 492-501 [abs].
- Sankin, GN; Zhong, P, Interaction between shock wave and single inertial bubbles near an elastic boundary, Physical Review E - Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, vol 74 no. 4 (2006) [10.1103/PhysRevE.74.046304] [abs].
- Sankin, GN; Simmons, WN; Zhu, SL; Zhong, P, Shock wave interaction with laser-generated single bubbles., Physical Review Letters, vol 95 no. 3 (2005) [10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.034501] [abs].
- Chen, WS; Lu, XC; Liu, YB; Zhong, P, The effect of surface agitation on ultrasound-mediated gene transfer in vitro, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 116 no. 4 (2004), pp. 2440-2450 [10.1121/1.1777855] [abs].
- Zhu, S; Cocks, FH; Preminger, GM; Zhong, P, The role of stress waves and cavitation in stone comminution in shock wave lithotripsy., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 28 no. 5 (2002), pp. 661-671 [abs].
- Zhong, P; Zhou, Y, Suppression of large intraluminal bubble expansion in shock wave lithotripsy without compromising stone comminution: methodology and in vitro experiments., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 110 no. 6 (2001), pp. 3283-3291 [abs].
- Xi, X; Zhong, P, Dynamic photoelastic study of the transient stress field in solids during shock wave lithotripsy., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 109 no. 3 (2001), pp. 1226-1239 [abs].
- Zhong, P; Zhou, Y; Zhu, S, Dynamics of bubble oscillation in constrained media and mechanisms of vessel rupture in SWL., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 27 no. 1 (2001), pp. 119-134 [abs].
- Zhu, S; Kourambas, J; Munver, R; Preminger, GM; Zhong, P, Quantification of the tip movement of lithotripsy flexible pneumatic probes., The Journal of Urology, vol 164 no. 5 (2000), pp. 1735-1739 [abs].
- Heimbach, D; Munver, R; Zhong, P; Jacobs, J; Hesse, A; Müller, SC; Preminger, GM, Acoustic and mechanical properties of artificial stones in comparison to natural kidney stones., The Journal of Urology, vol 164 no. 2 (2000), pp. 537-544 [abs].
- Xi, X; Zhong, P, Improvement of stone fragmentation during shock-wave lithotripsy using a combined EH/PEAA shock-wave generator-in vitro experiments., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 26 no. 3 (2000), pp. 457-467 [abs].
- Zhong, P; Lin, H; Xi, X; Zhu, S; Bhogte, ES, Shock wave-inertial microbubble interaction: methodology, physical characterization, and bioeffect study., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 105 no. 3 (1999), pp. 1997-2009 [abs].
- Zhong, P; Cioanta, I; Cocks, FH; Preminger, GM, Inertial cavitation and associated acoustic emission produced during electrohydraulic shock wave lithotripsy, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 101 no. 5 I (1997), pp. 2940-2950 [10.1121/1.418522] [abs].
- Zhong, P; Preminger, GM, Mechanisms of differing stone fragility in extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy., Journal of Endourology, vol 8 no. 4 (1994), pp. 263-268 [10.1089/end.1994.8.263] [abs].
- Zhong, P; Chuong, CJ; Preminger, GM, Propagation of shock waves in elastic solids caused by cavitation microjet impact. II: Application in extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 94 no. 1 (1993), pp. 29-36 [abs].
- Zhong, P; Chuong, CJ, Propagation of shock waves in elastic solids caused by cavitation microjet impact. I: Theoretical formulation., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 94 no. 1 (1993), pp. 19-28 [abs].
- Zhong, P; Chuong, CJ; Preminger, GM, Characterization of fracture toughness of renal calculi using a microindentation technique, Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol 12 no. 18 (1993), pp. 1460-1462 [abs].