Michael J. Therien
William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Chemistry in Trinity College of Arts and SciencesOur research involves the synthesis of compounds, supramolecular assemblies, nano-scale objects, and electronic materials with unusual ground-and excited-state characteristics, and interrogating these structures using state-of-the-art transient optical, spectroscopic, photophysical, and electrochemical methods. Over chemical dimensions that span molecules to materials, we probe experimental and theoretical aspects of charge migration reactions and ultrafast electron transfer processes. Insights into the structure-property relationships of molecular, nanoscale, and macroscopic materials allow us to fabricate polarizable and hyperpolarizable chromophores, structures for molecular electronics applications, optical limiters, and a wide range of other electrooptic and photonic materials that include novel conducting polymers, structures for solar energy conversion, and new platforms for in vivo optical imaging. Other efforts in our laboratory involve the elaborating de novo electron- and energy-transfer proteins, interrogating catalytic redox reactions, designing catalysts for small molecule activation, and developing new tools to manipulate nanoscale structures.
Appointments and Affiliations
- William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Chemistry in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences
- Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 5330 French Family Science Cen, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1670
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- California Institute of Technology, 1990
- Ph.D. University of California at San Diego, 1987
- B.S. University of St. Andrews (Scotland), 1982
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. Flemish Academy of Arts and Sciences . 2009
- International Francqui Chair. Belgium . 2008
- AAAS Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2005
- Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science . 2005
- American Chemical Society Philadelphia Section Award . American Chemical Society . 2004
- Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines Young Investigator Award . Society of Porphyrins & Phthalocyanines . 2002
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar . Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc.. 1997
- E. I. duPont de Nemours Young Faculty Award . DuPont. 1995
- Sloan Research Fellowship-Chemistry. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 1995
- National Science Foundation Young Investigator . National Science Foundation . 1993
- Beckman Young Investigators (BYI). Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. 1992
- Scholars. Searle Scholars. 1991
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 521: Inorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 524: Bioinorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 590: Special Topics in Chemistry
In the News
- Farewell, Electrons: Future Electronics May Ride on New Three-in-One Particle (Jan 23, 2018 | Duke Research Blog )
- Lab-Made Protein Chomps Co-Factor Like a Big Ol Gator (Sep 13, 2017 | Duke Research Blog )
- From Idea to Innovation (Jun 24, 2014)
- Park, J; Park, TH; Sinks, LE; Deria, P; Park, J; Baik, MH; Therien, MJ, Unusual solvent polarity dependent excitation relaxation dynamics of a bis[: P -ethynyldithiobenzoato]Pd-linked bis[(porphinato)zinc] complex, vol 3 no. 1 (2018), pp. 275-284 [10.1039/c8me00001h] [abs].
- Stanton, IN; Ayres, JA; Stecher, JT; Fischer, MC; Scharpf, D; Scheuch, JD; Therien, MJ, Power-Dependent Radiant Flux and Absolute Quantum Yields of Upconversion Nanocrystals under Continuous and Pulsed Excitation, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol 122 no. 1 (2018), pp. 252-259 [10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b11929] [abs].
- Bai, Y; Olivier, J-H; Bullard, G; Liu, C; Therien, MJ, Dynamics of charged excitons in electronically and morphologically homogeneous single-walled carbon nanotubes., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 115 no. 4 (2018), pp. 674-679 [10.1073/pnas.1712971115] [abs].
- Polizzi, NF; Wu, Y; Lemmin, T; Maxwell, AM; Zhang, S-Q; Rawson, J; Beratan, DN; Therien, MJ; DeGrado, WF, De novo design of a hyperstable non-natural protein-ligand complex with sub-Å accuracy., Nature Chemistry, vol 9 no. 12 (2017), pp. 1157-1164 [10.1038/nchem.2846] [abs].
- Bai, Y; Olivier, J-H; Yoo, H; Polizzi, NF; Park, J; Rawson, J; Therien, MJ, Molecular Road Map to Tuning Ground State Absorption and Excited State Dynamics of Long-Wavelength Absorbers., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 139 no. 46 (2017), pp. 16946-16958 [10.1021/jacs.7b09982] [abs].