Michael Martin Haglund
Duke Surgery Professor of Neurosurgery in the School of Medicine
Appointments and Affiliations
- Duke Surgery Professor of Neurosurgery in the School of Medicine
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Research Professor of Global Health
- Professor of Neurobiology
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Office Location: 4508 Hosp South - Blue Zone, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-6936
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Washington, 1988
- M.D. University of Washington, 1987
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Resident Advocate of the Year. Residents in Department of Neurosurgery. 2017
- Humanitarian of the Year. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. 2015
- Velji Global Health Education Faculty Award. Consortium of Universities for Global Health. 2015
- Triangle Business Journal Health Care Hero Award. Triangle Business Journal. 2014
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year. Pacific Lutheran University. 2013
- Palumbo Duke University Teaching and Mentoring Award. Duke University. 2013
- Endowed Chair, Distinguished Professor of Neurosurgery. Duke Department of Surgery, Duke University. 2012
- Sloan Research Fellowship-Neuroscience. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 1996
- GLHLTH 393: Research Independent Study in Global Health
- NEUROSCI 150: Research Practicum
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
- NEUROSUR 220C: NEUROSURGICAL INTERVENTION IN THE MODERN ERA
- SURGERY 220C: NEUROSURGICAL INTERVENTION IN THE MODERN ERA
- Babu, R; Thomas, S; Hazzard, MA; Lokhnygina, YV; Friedman, AH; Gottfried, ON; Isaacs, RE; Boakye, M; Patil, CG; Bagley, CA; Haglund, MM; Lad, SP, Morbidity, mortality, and health care costs for patients undergoing spine surgery following the ACGME resident duty-hour reform: Clinical article., Journal of neurosurgery. Spine, vol 21 no. 4 (2014), pp. 502-515 [10.3171/2014.5.spine13283] [abs].
- Haglund, MM; Meno, JR; Hochman, DW; Ngai, AC; Winn, HR, Correlation of intrinsic optical signal, cerebral blood flow, and evoked potentials during activation of rat somatosensory cortex., Journal of neurosurgery, vol 109 no. 4 (2008), pp. 654-663 [10.3171/JNS/2008/109/10/0654] [abs].
- Haglund, MM; Hochman, DW, Imaging of intrinsic optical signals in primate cortex during epileptiform activity., Epilepsia, vol 48 Suppl 4 (2007), pp. 65-74 [10.1111/j.1528-1167.2007.01243.x] [abs].
- Haglund, MM; Hochman, DW, Furosemide and mannitol suppression of epileptic activity in the human brain., Journal of neurophysiology, vol 94 no. 2 (2005), pp. 907-918 [10.1152/jn.00944.2004] [abs].
- Haglund, MM; Hochman, DW, Optical imaging of epileptiform activity in human neocortex., Epilepsia, vol 45 Suppl 4 (2004), pp. 43-47 [10.1111/j.0013-9580.2004.04010.x] [abs].
- Borel, CO; McKee, A; Parra, A; Haglund, MM; Solan, A; Prabhakar, V; Sheng, H; Warner, DS; Niklason, L, Possible role for vascular cell proliferation in cerebral vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage., Stroke, vol 34 no. 2 (2003), pp. 427-433 [abs].
- Muñana, KR; Vitek, SM; Tarver, WB; Saito, M; Skeen, TM; Sharp, NJH; Olby, NJ; Haglund, MM, Use of vagal nerve stimulation as a treatment for refractory epilepsy in dogs., Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol 221 no. 7 (2002), pp. 977-983 [abs].
- Quinn, JA; Pluda, J; Dolan, ME; Delaney, S; Kaplan, R; Rich, JN; Friedman, AH; Reardon, DA; Sampson, JH; Colvin, OM; Haglund, MM; Pegg, AE; Moschel, RC; McLendon, RE; Provenzale, JM; Gururangan, S; Tourt-Uhlig, S; Herndon, JE; Bigner, DD; Friedman, HS, Phase II trial of carmustine plus O(6)-benzylguanine for patients with nitrosourea-resistant recurrent or progressive malignant glioma., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 20 no. 9 (2002), pp. 2277-2283 [10.1200/JCO.2002.09.084] [abs].
- Cerne, R; Haglund, MM, Electrophysiological correlates to the intrinsic optical signal in the rat neocortical slice., Neuroscience Letters, vol 317 no. 3 (2002), pp. 147-150 [abs].
- Friedman, HS; Pluda, J; Quinn, JA; Ewesuedo, RB; Long, L; Friedman, AH; Cokgor, I; Colvin, OM; Haglund, MM; Ashley, DM; Rich, JN; Sampson, J; Pegg, AE; Moschel, RC; McLendon, RE; Provenzale, JM; Stewart, ES; Tourt-Uhlig, S; Garcia-Turner, AM; Herndon, JE; Bigner, DD; Dolan, ME, Phase I trial of carmustine plus O6-benzylguanine for patients with recurrent or progressive malignant glioma., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 18 no. 20 (2000), pp. 3522-3528 [10.1200/JCO.2000.18.20.3522] [abs].
- Schwartz, TH; Haglund, MM; Lettich, E; Ojemann, GA, Asymmetry of neuronal activity during extracellular microelectrode recording from left and right human temporal lobe neocortex during rhyming and line-matching., Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, vol 12 no. 5 (2000), pp. 803-812 [abs].
- McKhann, GM; Schoenfeld-McNeill, J; Born, DE; Haglund, MM; Ojemann, GA, Intraoperative hippocampal electrocorticography to predict the extent of hippocampal resection in temporal lobe epilepsy surgery., Journal of neurosurgery, vol 93 no. 1 (2000), pp. 44-52 [10.3171/jns.2000.93.1.0044] [abs].
- Macknik, SL; Martinez-Conde, S; Haglund, MM, The role of spatiotemporal edges in visibility and visual masking., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 97 no. 13 (2000), pp. 7556-7560 [10.1073/pnas.110142097] [abs].
- Macknik, SL; Haglund, MM, Optical images of visible and invisible percepts in the primary visual cortex of primates., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 96 no. 26 (1999), pp. 15208-15210 [abs].