Lori A. Setton
Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Research in Setton's laboratory is focused on the role of mechanical factors in the degeneration and repair of soft tissues of the musculoskeletal system, including the intervertebral disc, articular cartilage and meniscus. Work in the Laboratory is focused on engineering and evaluating materials for tissue regeneration and drug delivery. Studies combining engineering and biology are also used to determine the role of mechanical factors to promote and control healing of cartilaginous tissues. Research in the Laboratory is funded by The National Institutes of Health, The Coulter Foundation and The North Carolina Biotechnology Center.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: Box 90281, Dept. Biomed Engng, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5131
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 1993
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1984
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Van C. Mow Medal. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2007
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 2005
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 530: Introduction to Tissue Biomechanics (GE, BB)
- BME 792: Graduate Independent Study
- Farhang, N; Brunger, JM; Stover, JD; Thakore, PI; Lawrence, B; Guilak, F; Gersbach, CA; Setton, LA; Bowles, RD, * CRISPR-Based Epigenome Editing of Cytokine Receptors for the Promotion of Cell Survival and Tissue Deposition in Inflammatory Environments., Tissue Engineering, Part A, vol 23 no. 15-16 (2017), pp. 738-749 [10.1089/ten.tea.2016.0441] [abs].
- Bowles, RD; Setton, LA, Biomaterials for intervertebral disc regeneration and repair., Biomaterials, vol 129 (2017), pp. 54-67 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2017.03.013] [abs].
- Bridgen, DT; Fearing, BV; Jing, L; Sanchez-Adams, J; Cohan, MC; Guilak, F; Chen, J; Setton, LA, Regulation of human nucleus pulposus cells by peptide-coupled substrates., Acta Biomaterialia, vol 55 (2017), pp. 100-108 [10.1016/j.actbio.2017.04.019] [abs].
- Adams, SB; Leimer, EM; Setton, LA; Bell, RD; Easley, ME; Huebner, JL; Stabler, TV; Kraus, VB; Olson, SA; Nettles, DL, Inflammatory Microenvironment Persists After Bone Healing in Intra-articular Ankle Fractures., Foot & ankle international / American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society [and] Swiss Foot and Ankle Society, vol 38 no. 5 (2017), pp. 479-484 [10.1177/1071100717690427] [abs].
- Bowles, RD; Karikari, IO; VanDerwerken, DN; Sinclair, MS; Bell, RD; Riebe, KJ; Huebner, JL; Kraus, VB; Sempowski, GD; Setton, LA, In vivo luminescent imaging of NF-κB activity and NF-κB-related serum cytokine levels predict pain sensitivities in a rodent model of peripheral neuropathy., European Journal of Pain, vol 20 no. 3 (2016), pp. 365-376 [10.1002/ejp.732] [abs].