Herbert Kim Lyerly
George Barth Geller Professor
Appointments and Affiliations
- George Barth Geller Professor
- Professor of Surgery
- Professor in Immunology
- Professor of Pathology
- Affiliate,Duke Global Health Institute
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 203 Research Drive, Rm 433B, Box 2606, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-8350
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.D. University of California at Los Angeles, 1983
In the News
- When patients set science's research agenda, who loses? (Sep 17, 2014 | NPR’s “All Things Considered” )
- Dr. Kim Lyerly: Air quality shapes public health (Jun 25, 2014 | WUNC )
- Cleaner air contributes to fewer asthma, emphysema deaths (Jun 23, 2014 | CBC News )
- Duke scientists report air pollution controls linked to lower N.C. death rates (Jun 23, 2014 | The News & Observer )
- Cleaner Air, Better Health, Cost Savings (Jun 23, 2014)
- Lyerly, HK, Quantitating cellular immune responses to cancer vaccines., Seminars in Oncology, vol 30 no. 3 Suppl 8 (2003), pp. 9-16 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Nair, SK; Mosca, PJ; Hobeika, AC; Clay, TM; Deng, Y; Boczkowski, D; Proia, A; Neidzwiecki, D; Clavien, P-A; Hurwitz, HI; Schlom, J; Gilboa, E; Lyerly, HK, Immunotherapy with autologous, human dendritic cells transfected with carcinoembryonic antigen mRNA., Cancer Investigation (Informa), vol 21 no. 3 (2003), pp. 341-349 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Clay, TM; Colling, K; Hobeika, A; Grabstein, K; Cheever, MA; Lyerly, HK, HER2 dendritic cell vaccines., Clinical Breast Cancer, vol 3 Suppl 4 (2003), pp. S164-S172 [abs].
- Mosca, PJ; Hobeika, AC; Colling, K; Clay, TM; Thomas, EK; Caron, D; Lyerly, HK; Morse, MA, Multiple signals are required for maturation of human dendritic cells mobilized in vivo with Flt3 ligand., Journal of leukocyte biology, vol 72 no. 3 (2002), pp. 546-553 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Rizzieri, D; Stenzel, TT; Hobeika, AC; Vredenburgh, JJ; Chao, NJ; Clay, TM; Mosca, PJ; Lyerly, HK, Dendritic cell recovery following nonmyeloablative allogeneic stem cell transplants., Journal of hematotherapy & stem cell research, vol 11 no. 4 (2002), pp. 659-668 [10.1089/15258160260194802] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK, DNA and RNA modified dendritic cell vaccines., World Journal of Surgery, vol 26 no. 7 (2002), pp. 819-825 [10.1007/s00268-002-4058-0] [abs].
- Clay, TM; Morse, M; Lyerly, HK, Redirecting cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses with T-cell receptor transgenes., Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol 2 no. 4 (2002), pp. 353-360 [10.1517/14712518.104.22.1683] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Clay, TM; Lyerly, HK, Current status of adoptive immunotherapy of malignancies., Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol 2 no. 3 (2002), pp. 237-247 [10.1517/14712522.214.171.124] [abs].
- Keilholz, U; Weber, J; Finke, JH; Gabrilovich, DI; Kast, WM; Disis, ML; Kirkwood, JM; Scheibenbogen, C; Schlom, J; Maino, VC; Lyerly, HK; Lee, PP; Storkus, W; Marincola, F; Worobec, A; Atkins, MB, Immunologic monitoring of cancer vaccine therapy: results of a workshop sponsored by the Society for Biological Therapy., Journal of Immunotherapy, vol 25 no. 2 (2002), pp. 97-138 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Nair, SK; Boczkowski, D; Tyler, D; Hurwitz, HI; Proia, A; Clay, TM; Schlom, J; Gilboa, E; Lyerly, HK, The feasibility and safety of immunotherapy with dendritic cells loaded with CEA mRNA following neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy and resection of pancreatic cancer., International Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer, vol 32 no. 1 (2002), pp. 1-6 [10.1385/IJGC:32:1:1] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Nair, S; Fernandez-Casal, M; Deng, Y; St Peter, M; Williams, R; Hobeika, A; Mosca, P; Clay, T; Cumming, RI; Fisher, E; Clavien, P; Proia, AD; Niedzwiecki, D; Caron, D; Lyerly, HK, Preoperative mobilization of circulating dendritic cells by Flt3 ligand administration to patients with metastatic colon cancer., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 18 no. 23 (2000), pp. 3883-3893 [10.1200/JCO.2000.18.23.3883] [abs].
- Mosca, PJ; Hobeika, AC; Clay, TM; Nair, SK; Thomas, EK; Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK, A subset of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells expresses high levels of interleukin-12 in response to combined CD40 ligand and interferon-gamma treatment., Blood, vol 96 no. 10 (2000), pp. 3499-3504 [abs].
- Li, Y; Bendandi, M; Deng, Y; Dunbar, C; Munshi, N; Jagannath, S; Kwak, LW; Lyerly, HK, Tumor-specific recognition of human myeloma cells by idiotype-induced CD8(+) T cells., Blood, vol 96 no. 8 (2000), pp. 2828-2833 [abs].
- Lyerly, HK; Clay, T; Morse, MA, Optimizing dendritic cell function by genetic modification., Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol 92 no. 15 (2000), pp. 1198-1199 [abs].
- Markert, ML; Hicks, CB; Bartlett, JA; Harmon, JL; Hale, LP; Greenberg, ML; Ferrari, G; Ottinger, J; Boeck, A; Kloster, AL; McLaughlin, TM; Bleich, KB; Ungerleider, RM; Lyerly, HK; Wilkinson, WE; Rousseau, FS; Heath-Chiozzi, ME; Leonard, JM; Haase, AT; Shaw, GM; Bucy, RP; Douek, DC; Koup, RA; Haynes, BF; Bolognesi, DP; Weinhold, KJ, Effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy and thymic transplantation on immunoreconstitution in HIV infection., AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol 16 no. 5 (2000), pp. 403-413 [10.1089/088922200309061] [abs].
- Boczkowski, D; Nair, SK; Nam, JH; Lyerly, HK; Gilboa, E, Induction of tumor immunity and cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses using dendritic cells transfected with messenger RNA amplified from tumor cells., Cancer Research, vol 60 no. 4 (2000), pp. 1028-1034 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Vredenburgh, JJ; Lyerly, HK, A comparative study of the generation of dendritic cells from mobilized peripheral blood progenitor cells of patients undergoing high-dose chemotherapy., Journal of hematotherapy & stem cell research, vol 8 no. 6 (1999), pp. 577-584 [10.1089/152581699319731] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK; Li, Y, The role of IL-13 in the generation of dendritic cells in vitro., Journal of Immunotherapy, vol 22 no. 6 (1999), pp. 506-513 [abs].
- Nair, SK; Hull, S; Coleman, D; Gilboa, E; Lyerly, HK; Morse, MA, Induction of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses in vitro using autologous dendritic cells loaded with CEA peptide or CEA RNA in patients with metastatic malignancies expressing CEA., International Journal of Cancer, vol 82 no. 1 (1999), pp. 121-124 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Deng, Y; Coleman, D; Hull, S; Kitrell-Fisher, E; Nair, S; Schlom, J; Ryback, ME; Lyerly, HK, A Phase I study of active immunotherapy with carcinoembryonic antigen peptide (CAP-1)-pulsed, autologous human cultured dendritic cells in patients with metastatic malignancies expressing carcinoembryonic antigen., Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol 5 no. 6 (1999), pp. 1331-1338 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Coleman, RE; Akabani, G; Niehaus, N; Coleman, D; Lyerly, HK, Migration of human dendritic cells after injection in patients with metastatic malignancies., Cancer Research, vol 59 no. 1 (1999), pp. 56-58 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK; Gilboa, E; Thomas, E; Nair, SK, Optimization of the sequence of antigen loading and CD40-ligand-induced maturation of dendritic cells., Cancer Research, vol 58 no. 14 (1998), pp. 2965-2968 [abs].
- Morse, MA; Zhou, LJ; Tedder, TF; Lyerly, HK; Smith, C, Generation of dendritic cells in vitro from peripheral blood mononuclear cells with granulocyte-macrophage-colony-stimulating factor, interleukin-4, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha for use in cancer immunotherapy., Annals of Surgery, vol 226 no. 1 (1997), pp. 6-16 [abs].