James B. Duke Professor of Biochemistry
Appointments and Affiliations
- James B. Duke Professor of Biochemistry
- Professor of Biochemistry
- Professor of Chemistry
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Yale University, 2000
- BIOCHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 593: Research Independent Study
- BIOCHEM 695: Understanding NMR Spectroscopy
- PHARM 493: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 494: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Molecular Movies of RNA Guide Drug Discovery (May 4, 2018)
- A Mutational Timer is Built Into the Chemistry of DNA (Jan 31, 2018)
- A weird twist in DNA might explain why it’s such a great blueprint for life (Aug 3, 2016 | The Washington Post )
- DNA's Dynamic Nature Well-Suited for Blueprint of Life (Jul 29, 2016)
- Biochem Grad Student Finalist for International Prize (Jun 7, 2016)
- Drug made from bananas can kill viruses including hepatitis C and flu (Oct 23, 2015 | The Daily Mail )
- Duke Announces 2015 Distinguished Professors (May 1, 2015)
- ‘Quantum jitter’ mechanism behind the random mutations that drive evolution and cancer (Mar 13, 2015 | Science a Gogo )
- 'Quantum Jitters' Could Form Basis of Evolution, Cancer (Mar 11, 2015)
- Hashim Al-Hashimi named director for Center for RNA Biology (Sep 5, 2014)
- Gracia, B; Al-Hashimi, HM; Bisaria, N; Das, R; Herschlag, D; Russell, R, Hidden Structural Modules in a Cooperative RNA Folding Transition., Cell Reports, vol 22 no. 12 (2018), pp. 3240-3250 [10.1016/j.celrep.2018.02.101] [abs].
- Kimsey, IJ; Szymanski, ES; Zahurancik, WJ; Shakya, A; Xue, Y; Chu, C-C; Sathyamoorthy, B; Suo, Z; Al-Hashimi, HM, Dynamic basis for dG•dT misincorporation via tautomerization and ionization., Nature, vol 554 no. 7691 (2018), pp. 195-201 [10.1038/nature25487] [abs].
- Salmon, L; Stull, F; Sayle, S; Cato, C; Akgül, Ş; Foit, L; Ahlstrom, LS; Eisenmesser, EZ; Al-Hashimi, HM; Bardwell, JCA; Horowitz, S, The Mechanism of HdeA Unfolding and Chaperone Activation., Journal of Molecular Biology, vol 430 no. 1 (2018), pp. 33-40 [10.1016/j.jmb.2017.11.002] [abs].
- Clay, MC; Ganser, LR; Merriman, DK; Al-Hashimi, HM, Resolving sugar puckers in RNA excited states exposes slow modes of repuckering dynamics., Nucleic Acids Research, vol 45 no. 14 (2017) [10.1093/nar/gkx525] [abs].
- Stelling, AL; Xu, Y; Zhou, H; Choi, SH; Clay, MC; Merriman, DK; Al-Hashimi, HM, Robust IR-based detection of stable and fractionally populated G-C+ and A-T Hoogsteen base pairs in duplex DNA., FEBS Letters, vol 591 no. 12 (2017), pp. 1770-1784 [10.1002/1873-3468.12681] [abs].