Hal Cecil Charles
Associate Professor of Radiology
Dr. Charles is an Associate Professor of Radiology, a chemist and an expert in MR imaging and spectroscopy with over 25 years of experience in nuclear magnetic resonance. He serves as the Co-Director of the Duke Center for Advanced Magnetic Resonance Development. He also has extensive experience in conducting imaging and spectroscopy studies. He has had extensive experience in conducting longitudinal clinical trials with MRI and MRS used as imaging biomarkers. He is also director of the Duke Image Analysis Laboratory which is active in conducting clinical trials in CNS disorders (schizophrenia, MCI, AD), cancer, osteoarthritis and lung disease using imaging based biomarkers. His lab recently initiated a new project in imaging lung ventilation in humans with 19F MRI.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Radiology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 2424 Erwin Road, Suite 301, Hock Plaza, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 684-7921
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of New Orleans, 1981
- Le Graverand, M-PH; Buck, RJ; Wyman, BT; Vignon, E; Mazzuca, SA; Brandt, KD; Piperno, M; Charles, HC; Hudelmaier, M; Hunter, DJ; Jackson, C; Kraus, VB; Link, TM; Majumdar, S; Prasad, PV; Schnitzer, TJ; Vaz, A; Wirth, W; Eckstein, F, Change in regional cartilage morphology and joint space width in osteoarthritis participants versus healthy controls: a multicentre study using 3.0 Tesla MRI and Lyon-Schuss radiography., Annals of the rheumatic diseases, vol 69 no. 1 (2010), pp. 155-162 [10.1136/ard.2008.099762] [abs].
- Kraus, VB; Feng, S; Wang, S; White, S; Ainslie, M; Brett, A; Holmes, A; Charles, HC, Trabecular morphometry by fractal signature analysis is a novel marker of osteoarthritis progression., Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol 60 no. 12 (2009), pp. 3711-3722 [10.1002/art.25012] [abs].
- Hellio Le Graverand, M-P; Buck, RJ; Wyman, BT; Vignon, E; Mazzuca, SA; Brandt, KD; Piperno, M; Charles, HC; Hudelmaier, M; Hunter, DJ; Jackson, C; Kraus, VB; Link, TM; Majumdar, S; Prasad, PV; Schnitzer, TJ; Vaz, A; Wirth, W; Eckstein, F, Subregional femorotibial cartilage morphology in women--comparison between healthy controls and participants with different grades of radiographic knee osteoarthritis., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 17 no. 9 (2009), pp. 1177-1185 [10.1016/j.joca.2009.03.008] [abs].
- Wyatt, C; Soher, B; Maccarini, P; Charles, HC; Stauffer, P; Macfall, J, Hyperthermia MRI temperature measurement: evaluation of measurement stabilisation strategies for extremity and breast tumours., International Journal of Hyperthermia (Informa), vol 25 no. 6 (2009), pp. 422-433 [10.1080/02656730903133762] [abs].
- Eckstein, F; Buck, RJ; Burstein, D; Charles, HC; Crim, J; Hudelmaier, M; Hunter, DJ; Hutchins, G; Jackson, C; Kraus, VB; Lane, NE; Link, TM; Majumdar, LS; Mazzuca, S; Prasad, PV; Schnitzer, TJ; Taljanovic, MS; Vaz, A; Wyman, B; Le Graverand, M-PH; A9001140 Study Group, , Precision of 3.0 Tesla quantitative magnetic resonance imaging of cartilage morphology in a multicentre clinical trial., Annals of the rheumatic diseases, vol 67 no. 12 (2008), pp. 1683-1688 [10.1136/ard.2007.076919] [abs].
- Mazzuca, SA; Hellio Le Graverand, M-P; Vignon, E; Hunter, DJ; Jackson, CG; Kraus, VB; Link, TM; Schnitzer, TJ; Vaz, A; Charles, HC, Performance of a non-fluoroscopically assisted substitute for the Lyon schuss knee radiograph: quality and reproducibility of positioning and sensitivity to joint space narrowing in osteoarthritic knees., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 16 no. 12 (2008), pp. 1555-1559 [10.1016/j.joca.2008.04.010] [abs].
- Le Graverand, M-PH; Vignon, EP; Brandt, KD; Mazzuca, SA; Piperno, M; Buck, R; Charles, HC; Hunter, DJ; Jackson, CG; Kraus, VB; Link, TM; Schnitzer, TJ; Vaz, A; Wyman, B, Head-to-head comparison of the Lyon Schuss and fixed flexion radiographic techniques. Long-term reproducibility in normal knees and sensitivity to change in osteoarthritic knees., Annals of the rheumatic diseases, vol 67 no. 11 (2008), pp. 1562-1566 [10.1136/ard.2007.077834] [abs].
- Charles, HC; Kraus, VB; Ainslie, M; Hellio Le Graverand-Gastineau, M-P, Optimization of the fixed-flexion knee radiograph., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 11 (2007), pp. 1221-1224 [10.1016/j.joca.2007.05.012] [abs].
- Tupler, LA; Krishnan, KRR; Greenberg, DL; Marcovina, SM; Payne, ME; MacFall, JR; Charles, HC; Doraiswamy, PM, Predicting memory decline in normal elderly: genetics, MRI, and cognitive reserve., Neurobiology of Aging, vol 28 no. 11 (2007), pp. 1644-1656 [10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2006.07.001] [abs].
- Eckstein, F; Buck, RJ; Wyman, BT; Kotyk, JJ; Le Graverand, M-PH; Remmers, AE; Evelhoch, JL; Hudelmaier, M; Charles, HC, Quantitative imaging of cartilage morphology at 3.0 Tesla in the presence of gadopentate dimeglumine (Gd-DTPA)., Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol 58 no. 2 (2007), pp. 402-406 [10.1002/mrm.21290] [abs].
- Feldman, HH; Ferris, S; Winblad, B; Sfikas, N; Mancione, L; He, Y; Tekin, S; Burns, A; Cummings, J; del Ser, T; Inzitari, D; Orgogozo, J-M; Sauer, H; Scheltens, P; Scarpini, E; Herrmann, N; Farlow, M; Potkin, S; Charles, HC; Fox, NC; Lane, R, Effect of rivastigmine on delay to diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease from mild cognitive impairment: the InDDEx study., The Lancet Neurology, vol 6 no. 6 (2007), pp. 501-512 [10.1016/S1474-4422(07)70109-6] [abs].
- Eckstein, F; Charles, HC; Buck, RJ; Kraus, VB; Remmers, AE; Hudelmaier, M; Wirth, W; Evelhoch, JL, Accuracy and precision of quantitative assessment of cartilage morphology by magnetic resonance imaging at 3.0T., Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol 52 no. 10 (2005), pp. 3132-3136 [10.1002/art.21348] [abs].
- Dewhirst, MW; Poulson, JM; Yu, D; Sanders, L; Lora-Michiels, M; Vujaskovic, Z; Jones, EL; Samulski, TV; Powers, BE; Brizel, DM; Prosnitz, LR; Charles, HC, Relation between pO2, 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy parameters and treatment outcome in patients with high-grade soft tissue sarcomas treated with thermoradiotherapy., International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol 61 no. 2 (2005), pp. 480-491 [10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.06.211] [abs].
- Farlow, MR; He, Y; Tekin, S; Xu, J; Lane, R; Charles, HC, Impact of APOE in mild cognitive impairment., Neurology, vol 63 no. 10 (2004), pp. 1898-1901 [abs].
- Arias-Mendoza, F; Zakian, K; Schwartz, A; Howe, FA; Koutcher, JA; Leach, MO; Griffiths, JR; Heerschap, A; Glickson, JD; Nelson, SJ; Evelhoch, JL; Charles, HC; Brown, TR; Cooperative Group on MRS Applications in Cancer, , Methodological standardization for a multi-institutional in vivo trial of localized 31P MR spectroscopy in human cancer research. In vitro and normal volunteer studies., Nmr in Biomedicine, vol 17 no. 6 (2004), pp. 382-391 [10.1002/nbm.915] [abs].
- Krishnan, KRR; Charles, HC; Doraiswamy, PM; Mintzer, J; Weisler, R; Yu, X; Perdomo, C; Ieni, JR; Rogers, S, Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the effects of donepezil on neuronal markers and hippocampal volumes in Alzheimer's disease., American Journal of Psychiatry, vol 160 no. 11 (2003), pp. 2003-2011 [10.1176/appi.ajp.160.11.2003] [abs].
- Vythilingam, M; Charles, HC; Tupler, LA; Blitchington, T; Kelly, L; Krishnan, KRR, Focal and lateralized subcortical abnormalities in unipolar major depressive disorder: an automated multivoxel proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy study., Biological Psychiatry, vol 54 no. 7 (2003), pp. 744-750 [abs].
- Kim, DM; Xanthakos, SA; Tupler, LA; Barboriak, DP; Charles, HC; MacFall, JR; Krishnan, KRR, MR signal intensity of gray matter/white matter contrast and intracranial fat: effects of age and sex., Psychiatry Research, vol 114 no. 3 (2002), pp. 149-161 [abs].
- Chen, JG; Edwards, CL; Vidyarthi, S; Pitchumoni, S; Tabrizi, S; Barboriak, D; Charles, HC; Doraiswamy, PM, Learning and recall in subjects at genetic risk for Alzheimer's disease., The Journal of neuropsychiatry and clinical neurosciences, vol 14 no. 1 (2002), pp. 58-63 [10.1176/jnp.14.1.58] [abs].
- Gilmore, JH; Gerig, G; Specter, B; Charles, HC; Wilber, JS; Hertzberg, BS; Kliewer, MA, Infant cerebral ventricle volume: a comparison of 3-D ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 27 no. 8 (2001), pp. 1143-1146 [abs].
- Gilmore, JH; van Tol, JJ; Lewis Streicher, H; Williamson, K; Cohen, SB; Greenwood, RS; Charles, HC; Kliewer, MA; Whitt, JK; Silva, SG; Hertzberg, BS; Chescheir, NC, Outcome in children with fetal mild ventriculomegaly: a case series., Schizophrenia Research, vol 48 no. 2-3 (2001), pp. 219-226 [abs].
- Barboriak, DP; Doraiswamy, PM; Krishnan, KR; Vidyarthi, S; Sylvester, J; Charles, HC, Hippocampal sulcal cavities on MRI: relationship to age and apolipoprotein E genotype., Neurology, vol 54 no. 11 (2000), pp. 2150-2153 [abs].
- Prescott, DM; Charles, HC; Poulson, JM; Page, RL; Thrall, DE; Vujaskovic, Z; Dewhirst, MW, The relationship between intracellular and extracellular pH in spontaneous canine tumors., Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol 6 no. 6 (2000), pp. 2501-2505 [abs].
- Vujaskovic, Z; Poulson, JM; Gaskin, AA; Thrall, DE; Page, RL; Charles, HC; MacFall, JR; Brizel, DM; Meyer, RE; Prescott, DM; Samulski, TV; Dewhirst, MW, Temperature-dependent changes in physiologic parameters of spontaneous canine soft tissue sarcomas after combined radiotherapy and hyperthermia treatment., International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol 46 no. 1 (2000), pp. 179-185 [abs].
- Chen, JG; Charles, HC; Barboriak, DP; Doraiswamy, PM, Magnetic resonance spectroscopy in Alzheimer's disease: focus on N-acetylaspartate., Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, Supplement, vol 176 (2000), pp. 20-26 [abs].