Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Guillermo Sapiro received his B.Sc. (summa cum laude), M.Sc., and Ph.D. from the Department of Electrical Engineering at the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, in 1989, 1991, and 1993 respectively. After post-doctoral research at MIT, Dr. Sapiro became Member of Technical Staff at the research facilities of HP Labs in Palo Alto, California. He was with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Minnesota, where he held the position of Distinguished McKnight University Professor and Vincentine Hermes-Luh Chair in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Currently he is the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School Professor with Duke University.
G. Sapiro works on theory and applications in computer vision, computer graphics, medical imaging, image analysis, and machine learning. He has authored and co-authored over 300 papers in these areas and has written a book published by Cambridge University Press, January 2001.
G. Sapiro was awarded the Gutwirth Scholarship for Special Excellence in Graduate Studies in 1991, the Ollendorff Fellowship for Excellence in Vision and Image Understanding Work in 1992, the Rothschild Fellowship for Post-Doctoral Studies in 1993, the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award in 1998, the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientist and Engineers (PECASE) in 1998, the National Science Foundation Career Award in 1999, and the National Security Science and Engineering Faculty Fellowship in 2010. He received the test of time award at ICCV 2011.
G. Sapiro is a Fellow of IEEE and SIAM.
G. Sapiro was the founding Editor-in-Chief of the SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Mathematics
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- D.Sc. Israel Institute of Technology, 1993
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Distinguished Israel Pollack Lecturer, Technion, Haifa.. Technion, Israel. 2016
- Plenary Speaker, European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO). EUSIPCO. 2014
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2014
- Member, National Academies’ Board on Mathematical Sciences and their Applications (BMSA).. National Academies. 2014
- Science Advisory Board, Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics (ICERM), Brown University.. ICERM. 2014
- Fellow. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. 2013
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- Sokolic, J; Giryes, R; Sapiro, G; Rodrigues, MRD, Robust Large Margin Deep Neural Networks, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol 65 no. 16 (2017), pp. 4265-4280 [10.1109/TSP.2017.2708039] [abs].
- Pisharady, PK; Sotiropoulos, SN; Duarte-Carvajalino, JM; Sapiro, G; Lenglet, C, Estimation of white matter fiber parameters from compressed multiresolution diffusion MRI using sparse Bayesian learning., NeuroImage (2017) [10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.06.052] [abs].
- Simhal, AK; Aguerrebere, C; Collman, F; Vogelstein, JT; Micheva, KD; Weinberg, RJ; Smith, SJ; Sapiro, G, Probabilistic fluorescence-based synapse detection., PLoS computational biology, vol 13 no. 4 (2017) [10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005493] [abs].
- Campbell, K; Carpenter, KLH; Espinosa, S; Hashemi, J; Qiu, Q; Tepper, M; Calderbank, R; Sapiro, G; Egger, HL; Baker, JP; Dawson, G, Use of a Digital Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers - Revised with Follow-up to Improve Quality of Screening for Autism., The Journal of Pediatrics, vol 183 (2017), pp. 133-139.e1 [10.1016/j.jpeds.2017.01.021] [abs].
- Chen, J; Chang, Z; Qiu, Q; Li, X; Sapiro, G; Bronstein, A; Pietikäinen, M, RealSense = real heart rate: Illumination invariant heart rate estimation from videos, 2016 6th International Conference on Image Processing Theory, Tools and Applications, IPTA 2016 (2017) [10.1109/IPTA.2016.7820970] [abs].