Gowthami Morey Arepally
Associate Professor of Medicine
Gowthami M. Arepally, M.D. is an Associate Professor in the Division of Hematology at Duke University Medical Center and the Medical Director of Therapeutic Apheresis at Duke. Her clinical interests are in immune thrombocytopenias, thrombotic disorders, and applications of therapeutic apheresis for immunologic disorders. Dr. Arepally’s long-standing research program investigates immunoregulatory mechanisms in HIT. Current laboratory efforts focus on the role of complement activation in the immune pathogenesis of HIT, investigations of protamine/heparin antibodies and development of murine models for studies of the HIT immune response. Clinical projects include applications of therapeutic apheresis, including development of a multi-site network for investigations of thrombotic microangiopathy, studies of therapeutic plasma exchange for HIT and solid organ transplantation.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pathology
- Office Location: Rm 301 Sands Bldg, Research Drive, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 668-3696
- Email Address: email@example.com
- University of Pennsylvania, 1997
- Emory University, 1993
- Emory University, 1992
- M.D. Vanderbilt University, 1989
- Arepally, GM; Hursting, MJ, Platelet factor 4/heparin antibody (IgG/M/A) in healthy subjects: a literature analysis of commercial immunoassay results., Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, vol 26 no. 1 (2008), pp. 55-61 [10.1007/s11239-008-0217-y] [abs].
- Suvarna, S; Qi, R; Hollingsworth, JW; Arepally, GM, Platelet factor 4-heparin complexes trigger immune responses independently of the MyD88 pathway., British Journal of Haematology, vol 142 no. 4 (2008), pp. 671-673 [10.1111/j.1365-2141.2008.07240.x] [abs].
- Suvarna, S; Espinasse, B; Qi, R; Lubica, R; Poncz, M; Cines, DB; Wiesner, MR; Arepally, GM, Determinants of PF4/heparin immunogenicity., Blood, vol 110 no. 13 (2007), pp. 4253-4260 [10.1182/blood-2007-08-105098] [abs].
- Cines, DB; Rauova, L; Arepally, G; Reilly, MP; McKenzie, SE; Sachais, BS; Poncz, M, Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: an autoimmune disorder regulated through dynamic autoantigen assembly/disassembly., Journal of Clinical Apheresis, vol 22 no. 1 (2007), pp. 31-36 [10.1002/jca.20109] [abs].
- Suvarna, S; Rauova, L; McCracken, EKE; Goss, CM; Sachais, BS; McKenzie, SE; Reilly, MP; Gunn, MD; Cines, DB; Poncz, M; Arepally, G, PF4/heparin complexes are T cell-dependent antigens., Blood, vol 106 no. 3 (2005), pp. 929-931 [10.1182/blood-2004-12-4955] [abs].