George A. Truskey
R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Professor of Biomedical Engineering
My research interests focus upon the effect of physical forces on the function of vascular cells and skeletal muscle, cell adhesion, and the design of engineered tissues. Current research projects examine the effect of endothelial cell senescence upon permeability to macromolecules and the response to fluid shear stress, the development of microphysiological blood vessels and muscles for evaluation of drug toxicity and the design of engineered endothelialized blood vessels and skeletal muscle bundles.
Appointments and Affiliations
- R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 1395 Fciemas, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5147
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985
- B.S.E. University of Pennsylvania, 1979
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 2015
- BMES Distinguished Service Award. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2012
- NIH CSR College of Reviewers. NIH. 2010
- Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising. Duke University. 2007
- Fellow. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2006
- Fellow. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
- Fellow. Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, American Heart Association. 1999
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Tau Beta Pi, North Carolina Gamma Chapter. 1998
- Outstanding Scientific Paper in the Journal of Parenteral Science and Technology. Parenteral Drug Association. 1987
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 566: Transport Phenomena in Cells and Organs (GE, MC)
- BME 790: Advanced Topics for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- Davis, BNJ; Santoso, JW; Walker, MJ; Cheng, CS; Koves, TR; Kraus, WE; Truskey, GA, Human, Tissue-Engineered, Skeletal Muscle Myobundles to Measure Oxygen Uptake and Assess Mitochondrial Toxicity., Tissue Engineering, Part C, Methods, vol 23 no. 4 (2017), pp. 189-199 [10.1089/ten.tec.2016.0264] [abs].
- Vernetti, L; Gough, A; Baetz, N; Blutt, S; Broughman, JR; Brown, JA; Foulke-Abel, J; Hasan, N; In, J; Kelly, E; Kovbasnjuk, O; Repper, J; Senutovitch, N; Stabb, J; Yeung, C; Zachos, NC; Donowitz, M; Estes, M; Himmelfarb, J; Truskey, G; Wikswo, JP; Taylor, DL, Functional Coupling of Human Microphysiology Systems: Intestine, Liver, Kidney Proximal Tubule, Blood-Brain Barrier and Skeletal Muscle., Scientific Reports, vol 7 (2017) [10.1038/srep42296] [abs].
- Boularaoui, SM; Abdel-Raouf, KMA; Alwahab, NSA; Kondash, ME; Truskey, GA; Teo, JCM; Christoforou, N, Efficient transdifferentiation of human dermal fibroblasts into skeletal muscle., Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (2017) [10.1002/term.2415] [abs].
- Jantzen, AE; Noviani, M; Mills, JS; Baker, KM; Lin, F-H; Truskey, GA; Achneck, HE, Point-of-care seeding of nitinol stents with blood-derived endothelial cells., Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, vol 104 no. 8 (2016), pp. 1658-1665 [10.1002/jbm.b.33510] [abs].
- Noviani, M; Jamiolkowski, RM; Grenet, JE; Lin, Q; Carlon, TA; Qi, L; Jantzen, AE; Milano, CA; Truskey, GA; Achneck, HE, Point-of-Care Rapid-Seeding Ventricular Assist Device with Blood-Derived Endothelial Cells to Create a Living Antithrombotic Coating., ASAIO Journal, vol 62 no. 4 (2016), pp. 447-453 [10.1097/mat.0000000000000351] [abs].