Claudia K. Gunsch
Theodore Kennedy Associate Professor
Dr. Gunsch’s research focuses characterizing and engineering environmental microbiomes. Students and postdoctoral associates in her group apply fundamental concepts from the fields of microbiology, genomics and bioinformatics to environmental engineering applications. Current research projects focus on exploring ballast water microbiomes, exploring correlations between microbial adaptation and evolution stemming from their exposure to contaminants, characterizing the fate of genetically modified crop transgenes, developing genetic bioaugmentation technologies for improving the bioremediation efficacy of recalcitrant contaminants and developing innovative water treatment technologies for industrial and developing world applications.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Theodore Kennedy Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Secondary Associate Professor in the Division of Environmental Science and Policy
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 127 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5208
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin, 2004
- M.S. Clemson University, 2000
- B.S. Purdue University, 1998
- BME 565L: Environmental Molecular Biotechnology (GE, MC)
- CEE 492: Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- CEE 566: Environmental Microbiology
- CEE 661L: Environmental Molecular Biotechnology (GE, MC)
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Gardner, CM; Gunsch, CK, Adsorption capacity of multiple DNA sources to clay minerals and environmental soil matrices less than previously estimated., Chemosphere, vol 175 (2017), pp. 45-51 [10.1016/j.chemosphere.2017.02.030] [abs].
- Schwartz, GE; Redfern, LK; Ikuma, K; Gunsch, CK; Ruhl, LS; Vengosh, A; Hsu-Kim, H, Impacts of coal ash on methylmercury production and the methylating microbial community in anaerobic sediment slurries., Environmental Sciences: Processes and Impacts, vol 18 no. 11 (2016), pp. 1427-1439 [10.1039/c6em00458j] [abs].
- Czaplicki, LM; Gunsch, CK, Reflection on Molecular Approaches Influencing State-of-the-Art Bioremediation Design: Culturing to Microbial Community Fingerprinting to Omics., Journal of Environmental Engineering, vol 142 no. 10 (2016) [10.1061/(asce)ee.1943-7870.0001141] [abs].
- Lefevre, E; Bossa, N; Wiesner, MR; Gunsch, CK, A review of the environmental implications of in situ remediation by nanoscale zero valent iron (nZVI): Behavior, transport and impacts on microbial communities., Science of the Total Environment, vol 565 (2016), pp. 889-901 [10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.02.003] [abs].
- Redfern, LK; Gunsch, CK, Endophytic Phytoaugmentation: Treating Wastewater and Runoff Through Augmented Phytoremediation., Industrial Biotechnology, vol 12 no. 2 (2016), pp. 83-90 [abs].