Angel Vladimirov Peterchev
Associate Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
I direct the Brain Stimulation Engineering Lab (BSEL) which focuses on the development and modeling of devices and application paradigms for transcranial brain stimulation. Transcranial brain stimulation involves non-invasive delivery of fields (e.g., electric and magnetic) to the brain that modulate neural activity. Transcranial brain stimulation is increasingly used as a tool for brain research and a therapeutic intervention in neurology and psychiatry. My lab works closely with neuroscientists and clinicians to translate novel brain stimulation technology and optimize existing techniques. For example, we have developed a device for transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) that allows extensive control over the magnetic pulse parameters. We are currently deploying this device to optimize the magnetic stimulus in neuromodulatory TMS paradigms. We are also developing efficient algorithms for response estimation and individualization of brain stimulation. Another line of work is finite element computational modeling of the fields induced in the brain by electric and magnetic stimulation. My lab is involved in the integration of transcranial brain stimulation with imaging modalities such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG), as well as the evaluation of the safety of device–device interactions, for example between transcranial stimulators and implants like deep-brain stimulation (DBS) systems.
In parallel, I pursue projects related to power electronics, with applications in electrical energy conversion and storage. Recent projects include modular multilevel converters for solar energy conversion and storage, grid storage applications, as well as electric vehicles.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in Neurosurgery
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: Dept. Psychiatry & Behavioral, Box 3620 DUMC, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-0383
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 2005
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- Peterchev, AV; DʼOstilio, K; Rothwell, JC; Murphy, DL, Controllable pulse parameter transcranial magnetic stimulator with enhanced circuit topology and pulse shaping., Journal of Neural Engineering, vol 11 no. 5 (2014) [10.1088/1741-2560/11/5/056023] [abs].
- Mueller, JK; Grigsby, EM; Prevosto, V; Petraglia, FW; Rao, H; Deng, Z-D; Peterchev, AV; Sommer, MA; Egner, T; Platt, ML; Grill, WM, Simultaneous transcranial magnetic stimulation and single-neuron recording in alert non-human primates., Nature Neuroscience, vol 17 no. 8 (2014), pp. 1130-1136 [10.1038/nn.3751] [abs].
- Peterchev, AV; Goetz, SM; Westin, GG; Luber, B; Lisanby, SH, Pulse width dependence of motor threshold and input-output curve characterized with controllable pulse parameter transcranial magnetic stimulation., Clinical Neurophysiology, vol 124 no. 7 (2013), pp. 1364-1372 [10.1016/j.clinph.2013.01.011] [abs].
- Goetz, SM; Truong, CN; Gerhofer, MG; Peterchev, AV; Herzog, H-G; Weyh, T, Analysis and optimization of pulse dynamics for magnetic stimulation., PloS one, vol 8 no. 3 (2013) [10.1371/journal.pone.0055771] [abs].
- Deng, Z-D; Lisanby, SH; Peterchev, AV, Electric field depth-focality tradeoff in transcranial magnetic stimulation: Simulation comparison of 50 coil designs, Brain Stimulation, vol 6 no. 1 (2013), pp. 1-13 [10.1016/j.brs.2012.02.005] [abs].
- Peterchev, AV; Wagner, TA; Miranda, PC; Nitsche, MA; Paulus, W; Lisanby, SH; Pascual-Leone, A; Bikson, M, Fundamentals of transcranial electric and magnetic stimulation dose: definition, selection, and reporting practices., Brain Stimulation, vol 5 no. 4 (2012), pp. 435-453 [10.1016/j.brs.2011.10.001] [abs].
- Lee, WH; Deng, Z-D; Kim, T-S; Laine, AF; Lisanby, SH; Peterchev, AV, Regional electric field induced by electroconvulsive therapy in a realistic finite element head model: influence of white matter anisotropic conductivity., NeuroImage, vol 59 no. 3 (2012), pp. 2110-2123 [10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.10.029] [abs].
- Peterchev, AV; Murphy, DL; Lisanby, SH, Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulator with controllable pulse parameters., Journal of Neural Engineering, vol 8 no. 3 (2011) [10.1088/1741-2560/8/3/036016] [abs].
- Deng, Z-D; Lisanby, SH; Peterchev, AV, Electric field strength and focality in electroconvulsive therapy and magnetic seizure therapy: a finite element simulation study., Journal of Neural Engineering, vol 8 no. 1 (2011) [10.1088/1741-2560/8/1/016007] [abs].
- Peterchev, AV; Rosa, MA; Deng, Z-D; Prudic, J; Lisanby, SH, Electroconvulsive therapy stimulus parameters: rethinking dosage., Journal of ECT, vol 26 no. 3 (2010), pp. 159-174 [10.1097/YCT.0b013e3181e48165] [abs].
- Peterchev, AV; Jalinous, R; Lisanby, SH, A transcranial magnetic stimulator inducing near-rectangular pulses with controllable pulse width (cTMS)., IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol 55 no. 1 (2008), pp. 257-266 [10.1109/TBME.2007.900540] [abs].
- Peterchev, AV; Sanders, SR, Quantization resolution and limit cycling in digitally controlled PWM converters, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol 18 no. 1 II (2003), pp. 301-308 [10.1109/TPEL.2002.807092] [abs].